Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Documenting An Amazing, Troublesome Journey

My son-in-law, Brandon Toombs, is responsible for this, my latest flight of folly. "You should consider creating a blog," he advised me recently. Easy for him to say. Computer and Internet whiz kid. As I laughed at him, he pressed me. We talked about people. The amazing, creative, hilarious, spiritual people who populate the world of inner city Dallas, Texas. This world has been my world for the past decade, and especially for the past six years since we moved to "the hood," as the locals call it. So, here I am, adding my dronings to the already overcrowded atmosphere of information. These days it feels as if everyone is shouting and struggling to be heard, to be noticed, to be seen. For most of my low-income, or in some cases no-income, friends, this doesn't appear to be so important. For ten years I have been witness to the humility, joy, courage, disappointment, resilience, creativity and deep spirituality of "the poor." It is the spirituality that gets me. The poor know the force back of the universe and their lives. Their brand of spirituality is surprising, unorthodox, uncluttered, practical, real and full of joy. When I made the decision to move toward these people, friends from my old church said encouraging and complimentary things like, "Oh, isn't it great! You are taking Jesus to the inner city." My experience here teaches me that such a statement is so far from the truth as to be laughable! After less than a month, it hit me: Jesus never left the city--the church, yes, but not Jesus. The follow up punch was even more enlightening: no one knows Jesus better than these people! My humbling realization: I bring very little, if anything, to this community, except a growing appreciation of its members and an eye for the surprises that continue to surround me. This will be a place where these surprises are shared and celebrated. My hope is to create an awakening among the well-off regarding the constant, unjust struggle of the not-so-well-off in this nation. The past ten years have taught me that such an awakening is a matter to be informed by the heart of my own faith and spirituality.

4 comments:

Niki said...

Larry, glad you decided to document your journey. You're an amazing writer and your compassion for God's people (ALL of them) is evident. Thank you for challenging people to take notice and act to help their fellow men. I grew up poor (by true definition) and was glad to finally leave that life. As an adult, I've gotten comfortable living my middle class lifestyle and now God has called my husband and I to move to the Denver area to work with homeless street kids. I know my childhood was training for what is to come working with these kids who are so much worse off than I ever was. I am encouraged that there are people like you out there DOING something and not just talking about it. You and your ministry will be in my prayers. You keep writing and I'll keep reading and sending other people here to read as well. May God bless you in 2005!

Kathy said...

Larry, I've known of your work for some years now, and I've looked forward to receiving your newsletter during those years. Welcome to Blogland - yours is a voice that more believers need to hear and take to heart!

When you wrote: "When I made the decision to move toward these people, friends from my old church said encouraging and complimentary things like, "Oh, isn't it great! You are taking Jesus to the inner city." My experience here teaches me that such a statement is so far from the truth as to be laughable! After less than a month, it hit me: Jesus never left the city--the church, yes, but not Jesus. The follow up punch was even more enlightening: no one knows Jesus better than these people!" my heart shouted, Yes! Yes! Yes!

We simply must learn to get out of our ivory towered church buildings and out into the community or we'll never, ever learn how to truly serve those in need. Jesus said it all, "...but the poor will always be with you..." We need to be aware of this and that serving the poor is truly the mission of our churches. We must take our churches out to the community and abandon the cultural misconception that we are to bring the community to the churches.

Bravo, Larry! and welcome. I will be reading your blog as often as you post here.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've seen the original post as there was a problem with the archives for a while. I hope contributing to your exposure as a radical does not open me up to lawsuits from all those who will be made uncomfortable by your musings (myself included).

I promise to serve as a counterpoint should any pro-NY Yankees propaganda make its way into your posts.

Emmanuel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.