Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Jesus and the Values Debate

Not everyone who comes here to read, reads the Bible.

However, everyone who enters our current "values debate" (spawned by the so-called "culture wars" over the past decade or more) and who appeals to faith as an informing source for the argument needs to at least take a look at what Jesus said about poverty.

Today I leave on a week-long vacation. My posts may come to a complete stop for a few days. On the other hand, I may stay at it while away. At this point I just don't know. Whatever the case, I think a good old-fashioned Bible study might be in order at this point.

Here's the deal. Dust the cover off of your Bible. Turn to The Gospel According to Luke and follow along with the suggested reading guide below. You may want to plan on the exercise taking 10-15 minutes daily for several days. For each reading selection follow these practical steps:

1) Read each passage carefully and slowly at least twice--three times would be better.

2) As you read, jot down the main point the text seems to be making.

3) Ask yourself when was the last time you heard the words you are reading in church? In the current debate over Christian values and public policy?

4) Meditate on possible applications in your own life and in future discussions and actions about our national life and cultural values.

Reading Guide for Luke

Luke 1:46-55--Mary's song. . .note verses 51-53

Luke 3:10-14--the message of John

Luke 4:14-21--Jesus' first sermon

Luke 6:20-25--Jesus' sermon on the plain

Luke 7:18-23--John's question from prison

Luke 9:12-17--feeding 5,000 men

Luke 10:25-37--parable of the Good Samaritan

Luke 12:13-34--parable concerning greed (Tip: watch this text at the end)

Luke 14:12-14--Jesus' guest list

Luke 16:1-15--using wealth to assure yourself a future

Luke 16:19-31--a parable for urban America

Luke 18:18-30--the focused life (resist the natural urge you've learned in church to explain this one away!)

Luke 19:1-10--a small man with an open heart

As you reflect on this exercise, look back over this list.

It is safe to say that Luke understood Jesus to be extremely concerned about the poor.

It is safe to say that compassion for the poor was a high-priorty, a first order value for Jesus.

People who truly follow Jesus also are committed to relieving people of the burdens created by poverty and injustice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blog. I would love for you to turn these scriptures (and others you have mentioned) into a Bible study format. At the Christian bookstores they have studies like "Experiencing God" and all of the internally reflective, vertical relationship Bible studies but when I went to the Christian bookstore to find a Bible study on Justice a few months ago...nothing. A few books but no real Bible studies. Not much of anything, really. With this whole "values" discussion becoming more prevalent and with "budgets as moral documents" being talked about more and more, wouldn't it make sense for there to be Bible studies on this stuff--with scriptures like you've been talking about? Maybe those types of Bible studies aren't written because people don't want to be challenged like that. I don't know. As I read "Mary's song," I had to wonder what rich people think when they read those scriptures. Growing up as a kid who probably had more money than a lot of people, I know my parents were very giving people and I know it came, at least partly, out of their Christianity. But I don't know that it was ever because we really reflected on those challenging scriptures.

I guess if you don't write the book, the next best thing is to continue reading the blog. :)

Jeremy Gregg said...

From the perspective of someone who spent the last two days in accounting and economics classes, I can think of no better reminder of God's financial laws than these passages. Thank you, Larry, for keeping us on the path that does not stray.

David Michael said...

I recently went into a Christian bookstore connected to one of the largest Baptist churches in the world. A nice lady came up to me and asked what I was looking for. I said I was looking for a book on urban ministry. She said she did not know where a book like that might be so she went back and asked the manager while I was still browsing. The manager sounded perplexed as she said, "What does he mean by urban ministry." She really had no idea what that meant. As I browsed, I was amazed at the fact that there are no books in most Christian book stores on poverty.

Where are the books on ministering in urban areas and to those who are poor? I know that you can order some books from some urban ministry organizations, but it does seem rather odd that the major book stores seem almost oblivious.

I thought of a great children's book, "What Does it Mean To Be Poor?" This would take a child into the world that they may not even know exists.

I also began thinking that someone needs to write a book for adults with a similar perspective. Many adults may not have a clue to what it is like to live in poverty. This book should be informative, missional, and non judgemental. Imagine a book written from a perspective that reflects Bakke, Nouwen, and Mother Theresa. I believe we are need to educate our churches. A study from Dr. Luke is definitely the right prescription.

Anonymous said...

David~
Your request for a children's book reminds me of a wonderful book that is already out there called No Mirrors in my Nana's House by Ysaye M. Barnwell (song by Sweet Honey in the Rock). I think it is a beautiful illustration of what poverty is--not from those of us who judge poverty from the outside, but from someone who experienced "poverty" (if you can call it that) from the inside. I've written the words below:

There were no mirrors in my Nana's house,
And the beauty that I saw in everything
was in her eyes (like the rising of the sun).

I never knew that my skin was too black.
I never knew that my nose was too flat.
I never knew that my clothes didn't fit.
I never knew there were things that I'd missed,
cause the beauty in everything
was in her eyes (like the rising of the sun);
...was in her eyes.

I was intrigued by the cracks in the walls.
I tasted, with joy, the dust that would fall.
The noise in the hallway was music to me.
The trash and the rubbish just cushioned my feet.
And the beauty in everything
was in her eyes (like the rising of the sun).
...was in her eyes.

The world outside was a magical place.
I only knew love.
I never knew hate,
and the beauty in everything
was in her eyes (like the rising of the sun).
...was in her eyes.

There were no mirrors in my Nana's house,
And the beauty that I saw in everything
was in her eyes (like the rising of the sun).