Wednesday, August 31, 2005

More On Katrina and New Orleans

It appears that dear friends of ours in New Orleans lost their home and everything in it.

As of yesterday afternoon, two levees had given way to flood waters. Now the question is, how to deal with the water, repair these essential barriers and rebuild life in this amazing, charming, unforgiving, old city?

Our friends, Wayne and Ann, will recover.

They are amazing people who have devoted their entire lives to being present for others. Today Wayne went out and purchased a new chain saw and a generator. Already he plans on returning to help out with the recovery and re-building efforts.

Even people with financial security and where-with-all will find it tough going.

Thousands and thousands of others won't do nearly as well. Imagine for a moment what the poor will face in the days and weeks ahead.

I heard today from New Orleans that one man committed suicide inside the Superdome by jumping off one of the upper decks to his death below.

Originally the plan had been to transport the very ill and the feeble into the meeting rooms of the dome. However, so many low-income persons had no where to go that authorities opened the building to anyone who needed a safe place to hunker down and wait the storm out. Thousands remain in the building whose roof was badly damaged by Katrina's passing.

Tuesday morning's edition of The Dallas Morning News published a front page photo of two women swimming for their lives in the flood waters. I found the image haunting. Thankfully, they were rescued.

The happenings in this wonderful, now wounded city break my heart.

Unfortunately, New Orleans offers us an unique opportunity to study what happens to an urban area in the aftermath of both a horrific natural disaster and five years of massive federal spending cuts in social and human services. With the so-called "safety net" already tattered and badly torn, it will be instructive to watch and see what happens over the next several years in the areas of housing, public health, education, mental health and nutrition in this city.

Ironically, we may see a better response in the wake of this weather disaster than would have been the case had the storm never hit this city.

Every day in every urban center in America a disaster is underway.

Compared to the one that now ravages New Orleans, these other crisis situations play out more slowly, so as to be almost undetectable. But the stress and the pain is there and at work in a steady, eroding manner.

Keep New Orleans in your heart and prayers today.

While you are at it, remember all of the cities of our nation and the poor who reside in them.

12 comments:

Tim Perkins said...

Larry: I'm right there with you on everything you've written the last two days...except your positive depictions of pre-Katrina New Orleans. I suppose if I had lived there for a time, I might use the very same adjectives.

But from a distance, I view New Orleans as a city consumed by debauchery and more debauchery. The images I see of Bourbon St. and Mardi Gras sicken me. If ever a geographical area needed an influx of Christ, this is it.

And they have the audacity to call their team the "Saints"! (grin)

mom23 said...

I couldn't agree more. I will be interested in your thoughts on how the city heals and how we can learn from it. Thanks.

Larry James said...

Actually, Tim, I don't think you understand New Orleans very well at all. There is no more "debauchery" resident in New Orleans than here in Dallas. Two things to keep in mind.

First, New Orleans is far less hypocritical than many other places. In Dallas and other cities, we do a great job of covering up things that are very much with us.

Second, most of what you have in mind, like Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras, continue thanks to tourists from places like Dallas! Regarding "Fat Tuesday," most of that celebration is really a family affair. It takes place all across the city in neighborhoods. The parades bring people/families together for a community celebration. The Bourbon Street shots on the final day of the celebration do not really reflect the spirit of this two-week community festival. When we lived there, our girls were very young. We took them to the parades every year and we all had a great time--debauchery free, I would add!

We found the people of New Orleans to be some of the warmest and most delightful we have ever known.

As far as New Orleans needing an influx of Christ more than other places, after living there for five years and serving a church located downtown just 2 blocks off Canal Street, I just don't see that at all.

Owldog, I am not sure anyone knows where or exactly how the Superdome or the hospitals will be evacuated.

Tracy, one thing I do believe, the city will come back. That is just the way folks are in New Orleans.

Anonymous said...

Tim,

I wouldn't dog on New Orleans until we get things right her in Dallas. We need Christ's values here in the midst of tremendous materialism and individualism just as much if not more. After all, greed is no better than drunkness. It goes to the whole don't point out the speck in your neighbor's eye until you deal with the plank in yours.

JBS said...

Larry,

You articulate my feelings well. I have been haunted by how one of the poorest, most neglected areas of the United States is going to recover from this disaster. It has increased my sensitivity to how many people are gradually living into this type of despair right here in D/FW. I pray God's blessings on your ministry.

js

Peggy N Texas said...

I live in Beaumont, Texas, just about 4 1/2 hours west of New Orleans. Our city is also over run with "refugees" from the storm.

I looked at your blog to see if you had any ideas on how to help these people. I am leaving in five minutes to go to the Ford Arena, where 1200 people are staying at this time. I want to offer whatever I can to help. I am packing a bag of hotel soaps and shampoo and will offer to bring people to my house for bathing and even sleeping if needed.

Please help me if you have other ideas of how to help these people in need.

Thanks for your example of loving the "unlovable" as we often see them, especially the poor and/or those not "like us."

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Larry!
I just found your site and we are weeping and praying for our friends in New Orleans. Our time with you in New Orleans at Carrolton Ave. blessed our life and we are thankful for your strength in Christ and commitment to helping others. Please let us know if we can help our friends.
I don't have email or any current addresses, phone number (Arnolds,Tucker,Smith,etc.) I hope you remember us from the '70s.
Blair and Becky Leftwich
Lubbock, Tx
bbleftwich@cox.net

Larry James said...

Pegc, you are on the right track. Just keep following your heart and keep your eyes open, you will discover what is best for where you are.

Here in Dallas we are attempting to be very available to those who are coming into our city as well. Let's keep talking.

Blair and Becky--so good to hear from you! Of course, I remember you! I will send you an email with the contact info you requested. We have been in touch with the Arnolds--they are fine, but home is gone.

Rhonda said...

Larry, thanks for your comments. Ed and I have watched the news reports with heavy hearts, and I've shed many tears for those I know and those I don't know in a city that still is special to us. Thanks for your reference to Wayne and Ann -- we'd wondered about them, along with the Tuckers, Smiths, and many others. I've heard news about a couple of others who evacuated and are safe.

Those who've only visited the city as tourists can't begin to comprehend the depth, complexity, and warmth of its people.

Right now there are so many needs -- I'm praying that God will find ways to use us personally in the recovery and healing process. If you know of any who've evacuated in the direction of Memphis, let us know.

(And, "hello" Blair & Becky. If you're checking the comments, do you remember Ed & Rhonda Gray?)

Rhonda Gray
rhondagray@usa.net

Anonymous said...

Larry or others who read this:

I preach for a church in Nashville, TN. We would be very receptive to helping house displaced church families from the New Orleans area in our homes. I left you a message at the office, please give me a call -- 615-945-3836 (cell)
Don Loftis

Martie said...

Larry, Rhonda led me to your blog and I'm so glad she did. I watch with interest all the time, wondering if I will recognize anyone. I could kick myself for not calling some of our Carrollton friends and offer our guest room. It might interest you to know that Peggy Campbell is safe at her daughter Pam's house in Birmingham. Don't know about anyone else. You are right about the friendly people of New Orleans. You can't judge a city by the ones that make the news.Your description of Mardi Gras was perfect. Will be checking back with your blog for any other information. It is so like Wayne to be helping others. That's a good example of some the great people there. Martie Noll mnoll05@yahoo.com www.texasroad.blogspot.com

Larry James said...

Rhonda and Martie, so good to hear fromm you both. Isn't it amazing how important the city of New Orleans is to all of us and just how shaping our time there turned out to be? We are working with many, many families who have fled to Dallas from the disaster. I find myself wanting to go there so badly today. Stay in touch.