Saturday, June 03, 2006

A Gift for My Littlest Grandson


Recently, I received a letter from another buddy of mine who is serving a prison sentence at the Texas Department of Corrections unit at Diboll, Texas.

Not a very pleasant place.

When he lived in Dallas, my friend was a member of the Central Dallas Church. That's where we first met. Come to think of it, he is still a member of that church.

Like most of us, his story is long, complicated.

It is also very sad.

Here is, in part, what he wrote, just as he wrote it.

The gift he sent to little Owen, my youngest grandchild, is posted here as well.
__________________________________________

Larry,

Glad to here from you and to here that you are a new "Grandpappe."

. . . this drawing is for "Owen James" the new kid on the block.

I know he's just a little one now, but Every Boy should have his own Dog!

This one comes from me with Love.

Sorry so short, but got to Run! I'll write more later. Write Soon.

God bless you & The Family.

Love,
J. D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... to think that a man in such pain, so forgotten and dismissed by the "system" that he has every excuse in the world to be selfish, would yet be so giving to a child he has never met.

Maybe that's it. Maybe he is hoping that this child will be different. Or, at least, like his "Grandpappe."

Congrats, Larry.