Friday, April 06, 2007

Shane Claiborne in Dallas


We've talked a bit about the thought and work of Shane Claiborne here in the past.

Claiborne's cage-rattling book, Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical, has set off lots of discussion in the Evangelical world of Christianity.

I love what Alden Enns, publisher of Geez magazine and former managing editor of Adbusters, says about the book:

"Shane Claiborne is a living experiment--evangelical zeal mixed with grassroots activism; passion for Jesus mixed with prison time for feeding the poor. This is a rant for love, aimed at cowards seeking courage."

Now Claiborne goes Mainline.

If you live in Dallas and if you'd like to hear him in person, then plan on being at the University Park United Methodist Church (4024 Caruth at Preston Road) on Monday, April 9 at 7:00 p.m.!

Not surprisingly, Shane's presentation for the evening sports a provocative title: "Jesus Wrecked My Life."

Should be quite the evening. . . maybe I'll see you there.


[Check out Claiborne's blog at: http://www.thesimpleway.org/shane/.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry... check this out:

Charity Worker Arrested for Feeding Crowd of Homeless People

Florida police have arrested a charity worker from the group Food Not Bombs for violating a law that prohibits feeding groups of homeless people in Orlando parks, reports the Orlando Sentinel.

Food Not Bombs, the antiwar group CodePink, and the local Young Communist League had come together to serve rice, stew, salad, and bread pudding to 35 transient people, the newspaper reports. Eric Montanez was caught giving “30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilizing a ladle,’‘ according to an arrest affidavit.

A police spokeswoman said that Mr. Montanez is the first person arrested under the law, which was supported by business owners arguing that groups of homeless people discourage potential customers.

The Central Florida America Civil Liberties Union sued the city in October, arguing that the law, which restricts groups from feeding groups of more than 25 people, is unconstitutional. Mr. Montanez is one of the people who took the case to court.

“Police are arresting people for feeding the homeless,” said George Crossley, president of the local ACLU. “This has been a truly disgusting day.”

Mr. Montanez was charged with a misdemeanor.

jocelyn said...

Thanks for sharing, Larry. I'm reading Irresistible Revolution right now. I'm interested in hearing what Shane has to say. I don't know that I'll ever make all the same choices that he has made. But I like the way he thinks. And he has certainly confirmed some of the paths of thinking I've been on lately. I'm sure I'll see you there!

Amber said...

having stayed at the simple way for a time, i can testify of shane's genuineness. he is an exceptional guy, and his story is not to be missed.

Arlene Kasselman said...

Irresistable Revolution has been the most influential read I have participated in, in years. Funny, when I blogged about it, I titled that post, Messing with my Brain and Rocking my World. I am thankful that God is using Shane to speak into our lives. Just can't make the drive from Amarillo to Dallas on Monday. Oh well.