Saturday, July 14, 2007

Chevy 789: A Confession

I know, I know.

I supposed to be working on my carbon footprint. What with global warming, emissions control, gas prices and lots of other issues to consider.

But--and you gotta hear me here--I love cars!

This is a confession everyone who knows me understands.

For example: Any takers for this Chevy?

Unbelievable!

The company, n2a Motors, is planning a production run of about 100 vehicles.

This baby sits on a Corvette C6 chassis, front styled like a '57 Chevy (classic), side like a '58 (transitional year to the two-headlight look), rear like a '59 (wings and outer space!).

Hence the designation "789".

You can own this two-seater for a cool $135K.

I know, I know.

Poverty, hunger, mounting need around our world. I'm committed, I tell you, I really am. And, just here I am not joking at all. Obviously, I'll never own a vehicle like this one.

So, I suppose this is a confession of my struggle, a plea for intervention, a cry for mercy! God have mercy on my soul!

I love cars and the art they bring to life. I mean, this is a work of beauty. Can't you see it?

I guess I am just incurably materialistic.

Maybe my struggle and my agony have something to do with my birthday being in 1950. What do ya think?





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an unapologetic Car Guy. In a previous life (early '80s) I worked as a Certified Auto Mechanic. My son and I have plans to restore a late '60s/early '70s muscle car (probably a Mopar since I'm most familiar with those beasts).

The 789 is interesting. Kind of looks like a Frankenstein car!

Larry James said...

Jeff, thanks for the post! Glad to know I'm not alone in my addiction to cars and power! I know part of this is also about memories, etc. When you build that Mopar rod, share a photo with me!

Anonymous said...

So is this why you would like to be called CZAR--for the power--emperor/ruler? Why would you want that power? To rule over this displaced/underserved community?

Tag your're it!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I don't believe that Larry has ever asked to be called Czar of anything. The label has been thrown around a lot, and he gets brought up for things like potential mayor of Dallas because he is a true leader with a genuine understanding of how to get things done in the right way.

I think his blog today is more about cars than power.

Larry James said...

Anonymous 12:42, sorry, but I have never desired to be called Czar or anything else. I used the word a few days ago about how to renew Fair Park because most people understand that term to mean a leader with enough authority to bring people together and get things done--something that is very hard to do in Dallas, especially in the part of town we care most about--the South. That's all I meant.

Hey, maybe you could be the Czar! I'd work for you and follow you, if you had the ideas and the stuff to get the deals done. Call me and let's talk: 214-823-8710 ext 116.

And, yes, today's blog was just all fun and totally about a part of my fantasy life that I fall into for relief, renewal and occasional distraction from more important matters.

Anonymous said...

Anon 1242 - go kick your dog! Cleary you are a negative, unhappy right winger. Larry, if I could buy that car for you, I would. You deserve it more than anyone I know for being so selfless, loving, caring... I could go on and on. My guess is you will be driving the newest, sleekest and fastest hotrod in heaven. Love You. ANON Lawyer.

Anonymous said...

Larry, did you ever live in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Please email me spam_is_satanic@lycos.com

Please tell me if this 789 car is a real car or just a graphic.

& thanks

Larry James said...

Never lived in SF. And, yes, this is a real production model car.