Thursday, February 17, 2011

Alamo-like plea for Texas public schools

Here's a report on a most creative plea by a Texas school superintendent to the Texas Legislature.  The report appeared in The Washington Post.  Thing aren't looking so good for Texas school children who attend our public schools.  Hmmm.  Now, there's a question:  Wonder how many of our legislators send or sent their children to public schools? 


Texas district schools chief issues plea in Alamo-like letter

By Valerie Strauss

This is an open letter issued by John Kuhn, superintendent of the Perrin-Whitt Consolidated Independent School District. Addressed to Texas legislators, this plea for help is modeled on the famous letter that William Barret Travis sent from the Alamo right before it fell in 1836 (the text of which follows Kuhn's). Kuhn refers to plans by Texas Gov. Rick Perry to cut billions of dollars from public school funding.

From: John Kuhn, Superintendent, Perrin-Whitt CISD

To: Senator Estes, Representative Hardcastle, Representative Keffer, and Representative King during these grave times:

Gentlemen,

I am besieged, by a hundred or more of the Legislators under Rick Perry. I have sustained a continual Bombardment of increased high-stakes testing and accountability-related bureaucracy and a cannonade of gross underfunding for 10 years at least and have lost several good men and women. The ruling party has demanded another round of pay cuts and furloughs, while the school house be put to the sword and our children's lunch money be taken in order to keep taxes low for big business. I am answering the demand with a (figurative) cannon shot, and the Texas flag still waves proudly from our flag pole. I shall never surrender the fight for the children of Perrin.

Then, I call on you my legislators in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy of public schools is declaring that spending on a shiny new high-stakes testing system is "non-negotiable"; that, in essence, we must save the test but not the teachers. The enemy of public schools is saying that Texas lawmakers won't raise 1 penny in taxes in order to save our schools.

If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and fight for the kids in these classrooms like an educator who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his community. Make education a priority!

With all due respect and urgency,
John Kuhn
Superintendent
Perrin-Whitt CISD

Here's the text of the 1836 letter:

Commandancy of the Alamo------
Bejar Fby. 24th 1836

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the world------

Fellow citizens & compatriots

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna -----I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man ----- The enemy has demanded a Surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken ----- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the wall ----- I shall never Surrender or retreat

Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & every thing dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch ----- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country ----- Victory or Death

William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. Comdt

P. S. The lord is on our side- When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn--- We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves---

Travis

Reported  February 11, 2011; 11:13 AM ET

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all due respect Mr. Kuhn, the Perrin-Whitt CISD had a STUDENT population of 397 in 09/10 school year.

Mr. Kuhn, your district had a budget of $3,369,932 for the 08-09 school year with spending of $10,137 per student.

You state, "I have sustained a continual Bombardment of increased high-stakes testing and accountability-related bureaucracy and a cannonade of gross underfunding for 10 years at least and have lost several good men and women.cannonade of gross underfunding for 10 years at least."

If you are having trouble with managing a district of your size with $10,000 per student then we must need a new Commander to lead the children and run your district. I happen to homeschool my children on a lot LESS than that per year, plus I still pay my property taxes, which includes money to the school district which I choose NOT to send my children. It is specifically because I do not wish to have my children learning MATH among other subjects from adults like you who wish to distort the truth and even our own Texas history.

Shame on you. I am appalled by your reference to the Alamo in this case. For you would bring great disgrace to those who fought so hard for the Independence of Texas- and those of us who CELEBRATE, not distort what the meaning of the Alamo was all about~ especially since it is its 175th anniversary year. I beg of you to join one of the celebrations to learn more about our great STATE's history.

As Sam Houston said, "I humble myself before God and there the list ends."

Larry James said...

I believe Mr Kuhn speaks of the entire system, not just his district.