Saturday, March 26, 2005

Hope in Community. . .Always Amazing

It hit me today like never before: I work in a genuine community center.

Okay, I can almost hear someone who knows this place saying, "Duh" under her breath.

Bear with me. Last Thursday afternoon I walked out the back door of our headquarters building as our large truck was being unloaded by volunteers. The sun was beaming. Spring had definitely arrived.

People were everywhere outside our center. Of course, the inside was packed as well.

Unless you've been here it is hard to realize how many families depend on our Resource Center to supplement their limited incomes. The place always amazes me when I take the time to reflect on what goes on here.

But outside in the vacant lot behind our building children were playing while attentive parents relaxed for a bit on the lawn. The lot is more like a meadow these days after almost a decade of attention and care that included the removal of a "cocaine campground" several years ago. What a struggle that was!

Some folks had already been in our center to explain some problem, to receive help with food or some other issue. Others were waiting for family members to complete their interveiws inside. Everyone seemed glad to be taking advantage of the good weather.

Neighbors were talking to one another. Our volunteers were laughing. The kids were running and jumping and laughing.

The place just felt good.

The people were poor materially. Every single one of them.

At the same time, I witnessed a wealth beyond anything material. A priceless kind of reaching into contentment that springs from togetherness, hope and the satisfaction of work, even when it pays far too little. Don't misunderstand. There is absolutely no glamour and goodness in poverty. Far from it.

But, I have learned and continue to learn that people with hope and a sense of belonging often achieve amazing results. I caught a glimpse of one dimension of that as I was leaving.

Basically, I walked right past a Kodak moment, got in my car and drove to a meeting. Still, in that image I am sustained.

Working in a community center in the center of the community is a rare and wonderful privilege.

I am so grateful.

No comments: