Sunday, October 21, 2007

Time to retreat

Vacation has been a long time coming this year. No time away in the summer--just too much going on and too much uncertainty caught me in several traps of confusion about my schedule.

Ever been there?

But, I'm holding out hope for November.

My good friend, James Walters has offered up his cabin in Wells River, Vermont. James teaches at Boston University. Brilliant scholar working in the early Christian era to understand the social dynamics of the period.

James is also a skilled urban practitioner on several levels. While at Heartbeat, James helped create the Personal and Community Empowerment (PACE) materials that we are using to train leaders and organize community groups in several inner-city neighborhoods here in Dallas.

I love James. Wish I could find more ways to spend time with him.

The thought of his cabin leads me to share what's below from the latest Heron Dance email message I received on Friday.


Enjoy!

_____________________________

THE LAKE ISLE OF INNISFREE

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace
Comes dropping slow.
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the Linnet’s wings.
I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by shore;

While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep hear’s core.

—W.B. Yeats, 1890

No comments: