Saturday, March 01, 2008

Took care of it early. . .





Anticipating a crazy day next Tuesday, Brenda and I voted yesterday.

Something about voting always excites me, no matter how many times I enter the voting booth.

I suppose I remain naive and optimistic enough to believe that it all matters. I know for sure that the sort of freedom we enjoy here did not come easy or on the cheap.

The early voting location nearest us is in Fair Park at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center. The lines were long and the campaign workers abundant!

I have to admit, I love the process.

If you haven't cast your vote, I hope you will. If you have, either in Texas or somewhere else, thanks for taking the time to invest your opinion in an extremely important process for our national life.


.

7 comments:

Roger Cook said...

I'll actually be running a polling place on Tuesday, so I'll take advantage of my presence there.

J-Wild said...

Larry, I am curious if the community you serve and live among have become more politically energized these last few months? What have been your observations with regard to the issues or candidates that have motivated those who call CDM home.

Larry James said...

j-wild, people seem very motivated, as I say the line yesterday was very long at 1:30 p.m. And, there is lots of conversation. I think what I am seeing lines up with reports about record numbers of primary voters.

Anonymous said...

G'Obama!

Anonymous said...

I love the process, too. I always used to take my children along with me into the voting booth when they were little to try to give them a taste of the privilege.

I have a question for anyone out there. Do we have to caucus on Tuesday night in order to have our vote really count? I don't understand how this works.

Anonymous said...

Karen, your vote still counts a great deal if you don't caucus! Most of the delegates are awarded by popular vote in the primary. The rest are determined by the causus. Think of the caucus as an extra push for delegates for your candidate, but by all means, you're actually VOTE does count a great deal! If you want to caucus, just bring your stamped voter card or make sure you get a blue slip from your polling location showing that you did vote. You do have to vote to caucus, but not the other way around!

I am for Obama, but am so exicited about this process!

Hope that helps, Karen!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Anon! Yes, it helps. I would vote regardless, but my daughter, Rose, wants to caucus as well as vote, so I am going to babysit for her.

Someone told me since I asked this that about a third of the results depend on the caucus.

Guess I don't know all of this because Texas hasn't mattered this much in a while, and, while I always vote, I didn't even know we were a caucus state!