Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Needed: Human Understanding and Some Basic Kindness

Our staff here at Central Dallas Ministries numbers over 100 these days, not including our 40 or so year-round AmeriCorps members, a number that swells to about 125 during the summer. This team is filled with truly great human beings. It is amazing to watch them work. I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to work with such a great group of people.

Not long ago, I received the following email message from one of our team members, Judy Knie. Judy works at the Central Dallas Community Development Corporation and manages our various housing properties from the tenant side. She is masterful at her job. Like just about the entire team at CDM, Judy could be making a lot more money somewhere else, but she is motivated by a heart for people and by her faith. I thought the following exchange would be encouraging as well as instructive.

As I've read back over the exchange, it occurs to me again that the painful severity of most of the problems we face could be lessened if we found a way to increase our human understanding and basic kindness as a community.

Tell me what you think.

Larry, I am forwarding this email to you, not because I want to "toot my own horn" as they say (for John, Johnice and LB are doing the same each and every day), but to emphasize what we are trying to accomplish not only at CityWalk, Ashby, Gaston and Reiger Commons but to, perhaps, bring into clear context what these opportunities mean to our neighbors. I wish with all of my heart th[at] people. . . could hear what Johnice and I hear every single day. I wish they could listen to the tears being shed as a mother, father, grandmother or grandfather say all they wish is to give their children and grand children an opportunity to simply live. The need to have a safe place to come at the end of the day. A place to nurture and protect. The sense of hope for a future - not worry about what the next minute, hour or day may bring. . . .
Judy L. D'Amato - Knie
Properties Manager

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 7:28 PM
To: Judy Knie
Subject: City Walk

Hello Ms. Judy

I was just wanting to touch basis with about the citywalk@akard, I did speak with you several months and you did add me to the waiting list so I was just wanting to make sure that I was still on it. If at all possible I would like to be put on the list for a two bedroom west unit. Also I want to thank you dearly for everything that you have done with open arms to assist me and my family as a tenant in your Ashby Commons Apartments. . . . I Thank God for you and the team of people that you work with within your organization. You give individuals hope that no matter how hard you may fall, if you believe and trust in God to restore he will. I truly feel that God used your organization as a blessing to me and my teenage daughters to give us a home of comfort because to some single mothers that matters. I just want to say Thank You sincerely. I pray that in return YOU be Blessed abundantly to the full, til it overflows.

Thank You Again and Many Blessings

.

No comments: