Thursday, May 14, 2009

Jack Kemp, class act


Jack Kemp always impressed me. I guess I just loved his style.

His athletic ability kept fans coming back for more week after week. He played through his pain. He never complained.

Kemp led the way in attempting to push the nation to face its racism, to talk about it and to engage in reconciling actions.

After football, Kemp entered politics as one of the chief proponents, better, salesmen for President Reagan's "supply side" economic theories.

Kemp served as the Secretary of the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development under President George H. W. Bush.

Kemp had ideas. He was smart. He was fair. He wanted to include everyone.

Kemp died earlier this month after a battle with cancer. He was 73.

Read a great tribute in the May 11, 2009 issue of Sports Illustrated.

Jack Kemp will be remembered and missed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed.

In my opinion, he would have been a better president that any of the men who have served since President Reagan (including the current guy).

Jeff Warren said...

Dole-Kemp was the last Republican ticket I voted for, largely because the "compassionate conservatism" (not coined at the time, I believe) espoused by Kemp represented the true intent of Republicans married to a workable economic policy. I no longer believe in the policy, and I don't believe in the compassion of most Republican leaders, but I still admire Kemp as embodying the best that supply-side advocacy could be. He was a genuinely good guy.

Jeff Warren said...

Sorry --- "I thought that the 'compassionate conservatism'..."