Thursday, December 31, 2009

"I'm trying to be like you, Granddad."


I'll have to admit that I cringed when I heard him say it.

Wyatt, my 5-year-old grandson, and I were hanging out at my house. 

For the life of me I can't recall the exact context of his statement, his words erased just about everything else from my memory of the moment as soon as he uttered them.  I think I had been giving him some direction or advice about the particular "behavior of the moment."  And, he responded well to my advice/request. 

Then, he said it. 

Out of nowhere that I was aware of really but, then again, right out of his heart, Wyatt declared to me, "You know Granddad, I'm trying to be like you." 

He meant to explain his actions. 

He wanted me to know his thoughts. 

He needed me to know where he was on the inside.

Rocked my world to say the least. 

I know about the influence of men on their children, grandchildren and families, or I thought I knew.

Trouble is, hearing it out of the mouth of your oldest grandson provides an unforgettable delivery mechanism!

Men need to do a better job of "getting it." 

Grandfathers and fathers play such a key role in the development of their little ones. 

Wyatt's confession pulled me up short.  I started remembering my grandfathers.  They were very important to me. 

Now, I am there. 

But, so are lots of other men. 

I expect we all have a ways to go in terms of really "getting it" when it comes to understanding just how important we are to the little ones around us.

I love Wyatt more than I could ever explain, just like I love his big sister, Gracie and his cousin, Owen.

They train their bright eyes right on me. 

Clearly, I need to work on what it is that I am like and who it is that I am trying to be. 

One thing I know for sure, thanks to Wyatt's open soul, I must find a way to keep the lines of communication open  between us.

No comments: