On New Year's Day, The Dallas Morning News' editorial board published a creative, lead opinion piece containing headlines the group hoped to see during the coming year.
It got me thinking about news reports that I'd really like to read during 2011.
How about you? What stories would you hope to read?
Here's my partial wish list of the news I hope and pray we can make together as a community over the next 12 months:
1. State legislature crafts fully funded health and human services approach.
2. Childrens' Health Insurance Program (CHIP) expands enrollment to cover 95% of eligible children statewide.
3. Medicaid to include more robust mental health benefits for patients.
4. Kidney dialysis funds found for Medicaid patients in Dallas County.
5. Collin and Denton Counties fully fund residents who access care at Parkland.
6. North Texas Food Bank receives record funding, lowers shared maintenance fees for partner food pantries.
7. North Central Texas destined to become alternative, green energy capitol of U. S.--thousands of new jobs created for unemployed workers living in inner city neighborhoods.
8. Dallas County provides green job work skills training to 5,000 workers.
9. Business tax credits established in state for green energy projects.
10. DART bond funds major expansion of light rail system across region.
11. City steps up, affordable housing development for poor and formerly homeless to set records through 2015.
12. Homelessness cut by 50% thanks to community coordination and council leadership.
13. DISD adopts principal as CEO management plan, hundreds of mid-level, non-campus positions eliminated.
14. Community health workers drive improvement in diabetes and obesity among youth.
15. D.R.E.A.M. Act signed into law by President Obama!
16. Faith communities ban together to battle poverty in Dallas--plans include new approaches to service, lobbying and educating memberships
17. Teen pregnancy drops sharply in 2011
18. Average wage rises among low-income, working residents
19. Reading scores soar as schools and parents craft creative new learning partnerships
20. Texas Rangers win team's first World Series in six games!