Saturday, August 25, 2012

Forgetting


I've been known to buy a drunk a drink.

It happened first on the street in New Orleans almost thirty years ago. My now, how time gets away!

The man approached me and said, "I'm not going to lie to you. I need a drink."

Taken back by his total honesty, I congratulated him for his truthfulness and stepped off the street into a bar and bought him a beer. And yes, I was a preacher at the time.

I've always been partial to people who tell me the truth about themselves, no matter where that takes us. So, across the years I've invested time and money in relieving the thirst of more than a few folks who honestly just needed a drink.

Too bad I hadn't discovered earlier the wisdom of Proverbs on this subject. Not that I share this tendency of mine with everyone, at least not until now. But, the wisdom of ancient Israel does help me just here.

When you have time, take a look at Proverbs 31:4-9.

What you'll find is guidance on who should drink and who shouldn't.

To cut to the conclusion: political leaders should avoid alcohol, but the poor should be given a drink from time to time to relieve their misery and help them forget their poverty. I promise that is what the passage says.

You see, rulers, the politicos need clear heads just to remember all the laws they have passed. If they drink, they may forget the good public policy they've crafted while sober. The results of such stupor would not be good for the oppressed and the poor (see verse 5 especially).

Interesting, huh?

The clear implication is that leaders enact laws that protect the weak.

Now there is a novel idea!

In Texas and in Washington far too often our leaders approve legislation designed to crush the poor, or so it seems out here in reality land. Only after passing laws that do nothing to assist the poor and needy do they hit the pubs. Maybe they reverse the order so they won't have to think about what they've actually done!

The poor, on the other hand, should be given "strong drink" (verse 6). This counsel assumes that a drink helps when you are perishing or in distress. If you need insight for interpreting "perishing" or "distress," drive downtown and look around.

Evidently the Jewish wise man who wrote this understood that beer and wine help poor folks forget their poverty and their misery (verse 7).

I guess that's why lots of crushed people with no real options feel the need for a drink. I don't think I'm being unkind when I observe that many religious people don't understand very well the world of the poor.

The wise man of Proverbs wraps up his homily on strong drink with clear, direct words about the work of leaders and, I would assume, people of faith who know the heart of God:

"Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute. Speak out, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy" (31:8-9).

At the risk of really being written off, let me add, I'll drink to that!

[Editor's note:  this post first appeared on June 1, 2005.]

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you consider it a medicinal requirment? Alcohol, in the Bible, was used for medicinal and restorative purposes. I Timothy 5:23

Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler; and whosoever erreth therby is not wise.

Proberbs 20:1

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of deconstruction, perhaps we could simply substitute sex for alcohol. Free abortions might help keep the poor quite happy.

KS said...

Tell me please, Anonymous 4:45 pm, that you did not really write what I just read above -- with all of the implications in it. The arrogance of it is beyond reckoning. What a hateful, bigoted spirit it reflects. The sad part is, you are apparently so woefully prejudiced that you can't even see the tragic and deep error of your own thinking. Amazing, and very sad. You should be embarrassed, but may not have the good sense to be.

KS said...

Tell me please, Anonymous 4:45 pm, that you did not really write what I just read above -- with all of the implications in it. The arrogance of it is beyond reckoning. What a hateful, bigoted spirit it reflects. The sad part is, you are apparently so woefully prejudiced that you can't even see the tragic and deep error of your own thinking. Amazing, and very sad. You should be embarrassed, but may not have the good sense to be.

Anonymous said...

KS, one track minds, driven by inflexible ideology never make much sense, especially when laid alongside life's reality.

Anonymous said...

Your feigning shock humorist me. Maggie Sanger would be proud! (KS = kinda stupid?)

Anonymous said...

The word bigot does not frighten me as much as knowing KS haws access to a computer, a credit card, and a ballot.

Anonymous said...

Enabler comes to mind!

Larry James said...

Sorry, guys. You had to be there.

Anonymous said...

Larry told a very human story about trying to connect with someone. That can only be done where they are, not where you'd like them to be.

Several of you (or is it only one over and over?) would have made excellent Pharisees. They also always had Bible verses ready to explain why they should pass by on the other side.