Friday, November 09, 2012

Terry

I wish I had asked for a photograph. 

His beard was magnificent! 

The slightly built, Caucasian man rode up on a nice looking bicycle just as I was unloading more water from my truck for distribution on "the Corner."

"Have anything to eat?" he asked hopefully.

"No, sorry," I replied, "just water today."

"That's okay," he said.

His name is Terry. 

"Nice bike," I observed.  "It looks new."

"No, not new, but in pretty good shape," he commented.  "A guy gave me this bike."

"Really?" I responded.

"Yes, he ran over my old one, so he gave me this one as a replacement," he explained as I admired his ride.

We talked for a long time.  He explained that he was a street entertainer.

"I do card tricks and tell jokes for tips," he informed me. 

"Where?" I asked.

"Deep Ellum," he replied. 

"So, you work the clubs on the sidewalks?" I asked.

"Yes, but I know which ones to pick," he beamed. 

He told me that he had staked out a private, secret place where he stowed his belongings and where he bedded down.  He didn't like the shelters because once in, you can't get out until early morning. 

"I don't have much stuff," he noted as we talked about securing belongings.

"Really, if you're happy on the inside and a pleasant person on the outside, that's all that matters," he declared. 

"Happy on the inside" and "a pleasant person on the outside"--hmmm. 

Sounds like a Rx for contentment. 

"I used to be materialistic, but I've gone beyond that," he told me. 

Wisdom from a new friend.  I'd never seen Terry before yesterday. 

I certainly hope to see him again. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So many great & inspirational stories on here... I must share your blog with others.