We're long overdue on this one.
Even though it's a bill we don't want to open, the time has come.
The moment has arrived. Now is today.
Comprehensive immigration reform must be accomplished.
Here are just a few of the obvious reasons:
1) Hard-working, honest men, women, youth and families earn pennies on the dollar from countless unscrupulous employers who take advantage of and exploit the uncredentialed status of their undocumented workers.
2) Undocumented workers are in violation of civil law, their coming to the United States is not a criminal matter. They come here for many of the same reasons my family came here. Why is my family considered noble and theirs not?
3) I benefit from the Social Security contributions made by undocumented labor. These workers pay the equivalent of 10% of the Social Security Trust Fund annually--benefits that the undocumented will never be able to claim.
4) Families who came to the U. S. seeking a better life continue to live in fear and do business in an underground economy.
5) The children of the undocumented brought here with no knowledge of or part in the decision to move face grave limitations as they grow older. For example, those who graduate high school and go on to college have no assurance of being able to work when their training is complete.
6) Millions of these wonderful people have been in the country for decades and consider themselves to be exactly who they are: Americans.
7) Reform will mean a dramatic increase in the net worth of those given this just relief. Driving poverty rates down will follow closely on the heels of reform.
We can't wait any longer.
The time has come.
No more excuses.