Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Show biz for "the poor"



LeAnn Rimes brought down the house Monday night during our sixth annual "A Night to Remember 2007" concert at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Downtown Dallas (event pictured here).

It was a great night.

The house was packed.

The music was emotional, moving and unbelievable in terms of range and quality.

LeAnn Rimes is an incredible talent. Everyone seemed to enjoy a night of fun and philanthropy. A successful night in every respect.

I'm grateful for everyone who purchased tickets and for every sponsor who helped underwrite the event--we had more sponsors this year than ever before.

I enjoy these efforts. I love working with our staff and everyone involved, including the talent to turn a spotlight on what we are trying to do.

Still, at the end of the day, it makes me incredibly sad that our organization even needs to exist. Families trapped in poverty deserve much more than we are able to deliver at this point.

As Ms. Rimes sang last night, maybe the best approach is to be committed to "change the things I (we) can." I continue to believe the list of things that can change to the great benefit of us all is long and eminently doable.

Any ideas on who we should invite to perform next year? I'd love to hear your ideas.



.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry,

In answer to you request yesterday, I would refer you to the article, "Politically Correct Thinking and State Education."
by Richard Ebeling

Anonymous said...

I looked. This article is solely about political correctness in "institutions of higher education" (i.e. colleges and universities). It is also 16 years old, and this pendulum swung substantially back the other way at least 5-10 years ago. What does this have to do with the effective use of funds by DISD in 2007? I am baffled. Please explain or try again.

Anonymous said...

Larry asked for examples of politically correct restraints in public education. I do not believe the pendulum swung back, in fact it may be worse.

You sound so angry--lighten up.

Anonymous said...

Wow... Chris, I decided to read the article you referred to against my better judgment.

First of all, the article is so antiquated that I swear I saw reference to beating your wife as a method of maintaining family cohesion.

I cannot figure out for the life of me what that article was about. It had a nice, highfalutin sound to it. But the article was so above reality I could figure out what it actually had to do with real life.

And for the author to assume that America/Western culture has some sort of monopoly on freedom/thought that no other civilization has ever had before...?

Once again... please provide factual information... you do know the difference between fact and opinion right?

Lynn Leaming said...

Larry,
I would love to see you get a contemporary Christian Artist like Casting Crowns, Selah, Point of Grace, etc. Someone that would still draw in a younger audience (as Leann did) yet appeals to those of us that are older as well. I knew I was aging when I had a difficult time understanding Leeann's lyrics. I am thankful that the evening was a blessing to your ministry and that I could be a part of it. I know it must of been difficult for you to be there in the midst of your dad and mom's health problems right now, but thankful that the Lord protected them so that you could be involved.

Anonymous said...

Good Day :) God is Love, May you experience God's Love this Day, may we really learn to Praise him in all things :) Lets Share God's Love today :) You are Loved!

Anonymous said...

Jack Johnson...Social conscience, plays well to an intimate crowd & smaller venue, would attract pretty diverse group, one of the best live performances I've ever seen...would be perfect in my humble opinion.

Chad said...

Larry, you should invite the band H.E.M. Classic Americana. They played with Boston Pops this summer and their star is on the rise.

Matthew said...

That is a big name to have. Wow.