Consider these facts:
- Black household median income is 65% of white household median income, and given the rate of closure over the past 40 years, it will take 150 more years for the nation to reach parity.
- One of 4 African Americans lives in poverty--for white Americans the ratio is 1 of 12.
- Over any 4-year period 54% of blacks will have a run of poverty, while in the white community 28% will have the run of bad luck.
- One-third of black children are poor, compared to 10% of white kids.
- Black families possess 10 cents of wealth for every dollar of wealth held by whites families.
- Median inheritance for whites is $10,000, compared to $798 for blacks.
- A person is considered "asset poor" if his/her access to resources is inadequate to meet basic needs for 90 days. The asset poverty rate for white families was 19.7% in 1999. For blacks it was 57.6%.
- To arrive at residential racial integration, about 2/3 of black households would need to relocate.
- Blacks make up about 13% of the U. S. population, but own only 5% of all businesses and receive less than one-half of 1% of business sales.
- Unemployment rates for blacks is twice that of whites.
[from John E. Stapleford, "A Torturous Journey: The Condition of Black America," Christian Scholar's Review, XXXVII:2, Winter 2008, pages 232-233]