Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Worldview: Judgment vs Hope

Beginning assumptions often determine results and outcomes.

This is especially true when it comes to how we decide to regard people.

When I begin with a worldview defined and informed by the categories and parameters of judgment, I quickly head in a direction that expects very little of others in their current state and assumes the necessity of my presence to affect the much needed change that I find so obvious.

Such a perspective creates the illusion that occupy a position of superiority, power and dominance. While shrouded in the false nobility of moral obligation, a worldview dominated by judgment cuts me off from authentic relationships. Such a stance weakens and, ultimately, destroys community.

If on the other hand, I enter every relationship as a fellow traveler involved in a quest for hope, the outcomes turn in a completely different direction.

Assuming the position of peer, partner and prospector, I now can join others in the quest for hope and the renewal it always delivers. The honest seeking of hope frees me to approach others with high regard and limitless expectations as they face their own futures.

At the same time, hope allows me to reach out to fellow travelers for help, assistance and partnerships. Freed from the undue sense of being a "required presence," I can find the space I need to fall naturally into unexpected, but vastly rewarding friendships and connections.

In the process, community is strengthened and given new life to see the beneficial cycle repeated again and again.

Judgment versus hope.

I've seen this choice worked out often over the last 14 years in the city.

The direction we choose, the worldview we adopt will determine our ultimate destiny and destination, as well as our practice.

What has been your experience?

.

7 comments:

Lorlee said...

Reminds me of my highschool math teacher who said -- Anyone can get the answer, it is how you set up the question.

The question determines the answer.

So what we need in public policy is people who know how to ask the questions. I run into it all of the time. In dealing with I-30, they asked the question "How do we accommodate cars?" to which the only answer is expansion. If you ask the question "How do we move people?" -- you open up all sorts of different options.

So framing the question is where we need to put our efforts.

Chris said...

JUDGEMENT: (March 2008)

"This is a downright mean country"

"This is the first time in my adult life I'm proud of my country."

HOPE: (August 2008)

"...I love this country."

"This country has given me so much."

Will the real Michelle Obama please stand up.

Anonymous said...

Feel better, Chris? We all hope so.

mundiejc said...

Chris,

That is completely irrelevant. Every word out of your mouth (err keyboard) makes people here less sympathetic to your view. Please. Stop. Commenting.

Anonymous said...

Chris:

If you could see the world in something other than black and white (pun not intended, but interesting), you might be able to see that all of these statements could be true.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Tim Timmons said...

It was the core precept upon which every great prophet formed their message to humanity ...

WE ARE ALL MEMBERS OF ONE TRIBE

What you do to another - You do to yourself. The way you judge another is precisely the same way you judge yourself - now.

The Kingdom of Heaven is within you - as is also the Kingdom of Hell - and you are the one that gets to live with yourself the rest of your life.

And then it goes digital ...

Larry James said...

Classic Timism! I love it. Hope you are well and living strong!