Saturday, August 23, 2008

Life that's lived up

Do you get weary of the continual, almost unrelenting emphasis on and attention to external appearances? I know I do.

I learned recently that one of the little girls from China who "sang" during opening ceremonies of the summer Olympics was actually lip-syncing the voice of another young girl. The girl who sang was not considered "cute enough" to appear in public, so a surrogate was recruited to stand in and pretend to sing. The "cute factor" seldom gets us anywhere of much value or substance.

Here's a motto for life that my wife handed me not long ago:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

While I expect my doctor would cringe a bit and while I recognize that this adage doesn't tell it all, I love the spirit of these words! How about you?

I think I might add something like this: "totally worn out, completely broke from investing in life and in people. . . ."

Got any mottoes for life that would be encouraging to others inside and outside your community? Let's hear them.

.

1 comment: