1. Is the United States willing to elect an African American to be its leader?
2. Does anyone really understand poverty?
3. How many of our local, state and national leaders understand the challenges facing poor people when it comes to. . .
. . .finding and paying for child care?
. . .accessing health care?
. . .housing costs and quality?
. . .diet and nutrition?
. . .education?
. . .public safety?
. . .work and wages?
. . .transportation?
. . .hope?
4. How is it that when wealthy, upper class people bend rules, commit fraud, take short cuts to their advantage, set up systems that make them mega rich and break laws meant to protect all of us from financial disaster, they receive giant loans on extremely favorable terms, as well as awards that the rest of us eventually have to pay for to "bail them out"?
5. How is that when poor folks make mistakes in their lives they suffer alone, go to jail and/or never really recover?
6. Why do the biggest champions of charity seldom understand even the simplest principles of justice and equity?
7. Why is my very small, monthly food stamp allotment considered "welfare" and the bailout of a poorly run, failing corporation considered good public policy?
8. How can there be so many churches, so many small group Bible studies in a city like this and at the same time so little understanding of poverty or regard for those who live in it?
9. Why are city code rules "enforced" differently from neighborhood to neighborhood across the community?
10. Why do slum lords and absentee owners have more rights when it comes to the condition of their run down, ratty properties than the rest of the people who are forced to live in or around such eyesores?
11. What does it say about a city when over 90% of the students in the public school system are eligible for free and reduced cost lunches every day? How does poverty effect a child's ability to learn?
12. Why is the vast majority of growth and development still headed north in this area?
13. Why is the bulk of the land still open for development south of the city?
14. Why does US Highway 175 (an inner city freeway) take a 90 degree turn before the Hatcher Street exit? Where else in the city would such a safety hazard be tolerated?
15. What are the ongoing health consequences of the old lead smelter on West Dallas residents?
16. Why isn't there more discussion in Dallas about workforce training and skills development/improvement?
17. How many churches, synagogues mosques and other faith communities could justify their tax exempt status in terms of value added to the communities in which they are located?