Tuesday, June 01, 2010

D Magazine, Race and Dallas

So, Wick Allison, top guy at D Magazine. certainly not known as a liberal or socially "on the edge" rag in these parts, published a stunning essay in his June 2010 issue on race and the rich in Big D.  His questions and his concerns should be addressed by political and religious leaders.  In fact, Allison calls both groups out on the matter.  Here's how he begins: 

Why are the Best Neighborhoods in Dallas Still Segregated?

The homogenous Park Cities, Preston Hollow, and Greenway Parks could hurt the city's future.
by Wick Allison
From D Magazine JUN 2010

Tom Leppert, Dick Davis, and Bill Seay are the three mayors of the four most prestigious neighborhoods in Dallas: Preston Hollow, Greenway Parks, University Park, and Highland Park. These neighborhoods—still, in 2010—are almost entirely lily white. In Dallas, usually we talk about race and the poor. It’s time to talk about race and the rich. Race is the one thing that could derail Dallas from becoming the nation’s No. 1 center of corporate headquarters.

In 2009, New York had 94 Fortune 500 companies, California had 98, and Texas had 118, of which 46 are in North Texas. If a relocation decision is based purely on costs, taxes, convenience, and labor, Dallas wins hands down. But as we found with Boeing, other factors can come into play. Would a CEO move to downtown Dallas if his top executives only felt comfortable living in Trophy Club or Grapevine? Why not go to Atlanta instead?

It’s time to face some serious questions. Why don’t successful upper-income black families live in the most affluent neighborhoods nearest downtown Dallas? If it is because they don’t feel comfortable raising their families there, why don’t they?

To read the entire essay click here

I understand not everyone is so keen on Allison's questions and point of view.  I'm proud of him.  It's a conversation long overdue in this city.  What do you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to pick the best line in Wick's column, but it may be this one:

"Successful black, Hispanic, and Asian executives don’t need us. We need them."

We are a poorer city, in every way, when we are not diverse and inclusive.

Randy Mayeux

Anonymous said...

I think Ms. Robinson made a good point in the comments in response.

When WAS the last person of color on the front page of the magazine?

rcorum said...

Please explain to this nonlegal mind how a country club can keep blacks or any other ethnic group out and not pay property taxes.

Unknown said...

It easy for one to have empathy! If it not instilled in you it usually comes from bad experiences In life. I have the greatest empathy for generation "me". If I take an honest look at where I come from where I've been. Everything in it existent revolves around (Me,Mine and I) somewhere "we" have been left out of the equation. The "me" generation have have had to fin for themselves. T.V as babysitters, computers as companion for human relations and all other electronics. They just want to be "me" what they see in the world they live in. I on the other hand believe that if we take responsibility for our obligations that I might be able to work toward us making a difference at what we could do. In the community where I grew up there is no one working in it that I know......that is from the community. Generation X.

Unknown said...

I love the word "Lily white" those were choice words my grandmother used when she meant prejudice. I thought the slave came up 75 and settled in North Dallas I mean East or whichever is of connivance I'll just change judicial lines for my comfort. I'll just make money off the poor and go back home. Oh! Do any blacks own anything in these parts? they use to until the master plan to come back down town. Lily White did not want anything to do with West Dallas or matter of fact anywhere close to it including North Dallas the one close to town. Slum parts.. They will take anything I can by any means necessary. Gregg's Park will be next..

Daniel said...

Ah, "separate but equal" rears its ugly head again. It's good to see people wondering "why are we missing a certain type of person here?" I'm glad to see Wick asking the tough question that no one wants to -- because it's usually a sign that we still have problems.

Richard, DCC is a nonprofit, like most other country clubs. It's hard to prove discrimination -- I'm sure DCC has a wait list in its back pocket containing some black families.

rcorum said...

Daniel, thanks for the explanation, but I wonder if DCC has ever had a single black member? I think that people have a right to be in whatever club they want to be in, but wouldn't it be interesting to publish a membership list. Would any of you who live in Dallas vote for a member of the club for anything?