Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A day

Days pass like a whirlwind for me. 

Unfortunately, at the end of most days, I seldom stop to reflect on what's happened to me. 

Yesterday was not unusual, but it brought my way a number of significant experiences. 

9:08 a.m.  Fire alarms going off in building.  This time it is no false alarm or test drill.  Smoke reported on the 10th floor.  We evacuated the building.  I rode up to 10 to check it out.  One of our tenants, a wonderful gentleman who lives in a wheelchair, had burned his breakfast a bit.  When he opened his door to air out his apartment, the smoke filled the hallway and set off the alarm.  He was fine.  No harm done.  But, we are ready for a fire!

10:00 a.m. A bus load (Dallas Cowboys' bus, in fact!) of bright, young high school students being honored by Bank of America as recipients of its student leaders award in the Neighborhood Excellence Initiative.  They came to see CitySquare and to tour the CityWalk building Downtown.  Delightful, amazing, smart, concerned group of kids! 

11:34 a.m. Team member shared a bit of "core meltdown" with me about certain aspects of our work!  Painful.  Grieving.  Honest.  Tearful.  Hopeful.  Hard.  Processing.  Growing.  Tough, but important. 

1:00 p.m. Meeting with "Food on the Move" team:  White, Vicknair, Smith--Nurture, Knowledge, Nutrition; AmeriCorps; PepsiCo.  Great people.  Creative beyond belief.  Committed to the extreme!  Lots of meals going out to community; leaders seeing room for improvement.  Lots of energy.

3:00 p.m. Met with a brilliant entrepreneur who owns an on-line sales company that is growing rapidly and adding customers and employees.  Opened discussion about his business taking space in the new "Opportunity Center" on Malcolm X!  Looks very favorable.  Bringing scores of jobs to this very depressed area would be an answer to many prayers! 

5:20 p.m. On my way to workout at the Y across the street, ran into a young man who lives in our building.  He greeted me warmly, honored me with a handshake reserved only for friends and those he respects.  As we talked for a moment, I recalled how he seemed when we first met many months ago:  closed, guarded, rather eccentric and depressed.  Now he's engaged, happy and part of the community.  Seems to have found home. 

Who knows what today will bring!  I hope I can take the time to be more "into my moments" and just reflect.

No comments: