Sunday, February 13, 2005

Street or Home?

Yesterday I received an email that contained the following message from a special person I have never met. He wrote in response to an essay of mine published in last Sunday's Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/
opinion/viewpoints/stories/020506dnedijames.c3b52.html).

Mr. James

I just read your article "A homeless solution so simple, it works: single room homes"

I'm mentally disabled & on Social Security disability. But when my parents die I fear I'll be homeless. In your article you mentioned that some homeless people would qualify for programs that would get them in housing. Can you tell me how to get in touch with these programs. The Housing Authority is not currently taking new applications , they're full.

He closed by signing his name and providing me with his phone number. We will be in touch with him. But there is more here than just his approaching crisis. He provides a glimpse of what life is like for thousands of people in affluent Dallas, Texas.

Sadly, the answer to his question is far from obvious in this community or state or nation. People in need, real need, find it difficult to patch together a life plan.

We will get involved with him. Hopefully, together we will find a long-term solution. But resources for adequately addressing a dilemma like my new friend faces are basically locked up and inaccessible.

Things need to change. It is a matter of values and civic morality.

No comments: