Friday, June 29, 2007

Friends Matter, Friends Change Things. . .

The report on the arrest of 31 undocumented workers at a warehouse in North Dallas that operated as part of the Fossil Watch Company caught my eye as I enjoyed my morning Cherrios a couple of weeks ago. I thought of the story again today in the aftermath of the defeat of the proposed comprehensive immigration reform bill in the U. S. Senate yesterday.

What stood out to me as I read the story were the emotions reported among those apprehended by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials.

When discussing immigration reform and the current situation facing immigrant families, many of whom have been here for years, we seldom think of factors like these:

Tears.

Fear.

Anxiety over children and their continuing care.

Uncertainty and vulnerability.

As I read, I found my mind running back through many experiences with specific friends from Mexico--you know, people with unique faces and their own names and families-- who do not possess the documents they need to remain in the United States.

These good people find themselves under increasing pressure due to stepped up enforcement by ICE officials who are taking steps that over the past 15 years or so very rarely have been chosen. It is obvious to me that the political situation is driving the new approach on the ground.
I thought of what I experienced among my friends.

Tears.

Fear.

Anxiety over children and their continuing care.

Uncertainty and vulnerability.

But, also, honesty, hope, dreams, pride, self-respect, hurt and a desire to carry their own weight and to make a solid contribution to our community.

It is the emotional side of this struggle that won't let me forget it.

My friends and their families matter to me. My friends should not be placed in jail for a civil offense of this sort, at least not until those who employ them and all who benefit from their labor are carried away to the same punishment.

No comments: