Saturday, May 17, 2008

Willie and the "Promise Land"

I love Willie Nelson.

Thanks to a good friend of Jennifer, my oldest daughter, I enjoyed the amazing experience of climbing on his road bus, visiting with him and meeting members of his band during one of his appearances here in Dallas.

He impressed me as a very quiet, humble man. Interested in me. Self-effacing. On the underside of the bill of a Colorado Rockies baseball cap in my collection you'll find his John Henry! Great night it was!

I've always loved Willie's rendition of "Living in the Promised Land."

Here are two presentations of this moving music. The first is filled with graphic images of the American Dream, the second a video of Willie and his band playing this important piece of music (and you'll need to disregard what follows Willie's music).

As I listen and watch, I wonder if we haven't lost something that we badly need to recapture as a people.

Just wondering.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8atlMK8uqCU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQI7Hvccbg&feature=related

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greal lyrics.

Give us your tired, your weak
And we will make them strong
Bring us your far off song
And we will sing along
Leave us your broken dreams
We'll give them time to mend
There's still a lot of love
Living in the Promiseland

And room for everyone
Living in the Promiseland

Reminds one of the essence of America.
From “The New Colossus,” by Emma Lazarus. (“The New Colossus,” appears on a plaque at the base of the Statue of Liberty):

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Thanks, Larry.

Randy Mayeux