Thursday, April 04, 2013

April 4, 1968

It was one of those moments that I will never forget.  I recall exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news reports crackled into the radio of my 1957 Buick.

My good buddy, Eddie Wilson and I were putting school board campaign signs out in yards where they had been requested.  I can't remember the name of the candidate my father was supporting, but we were working for him.  

I was 18-years-old, a senior in high school about ready to go off to college.  

The news bulletin:  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gunned down and dead in Memphis, Tennessee where he was supporting striking sanitation workers.  

Dr. King. . .dead.  

April 4, 1968.

I am remembering today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every murder is tragic. Every assasination of a public figure is a shock to the nation. But the targeted killing of someone for what they say or stand for is a threat to our entire way of life. MLK's murder is certainly in that category. So are the recent killings of prosecutors and law enforcement personnel. There are really bad people out there. We simply cannot allow them the last word.