Friday, August 07, 2020

"I just want to live like you!"

So simple.  Yet, so obvious.  

Problem is, I seldom think correctly about the urban "poor."  

I don't see clearly.  

I rush to  "help," to "fix," to "solve."  

I don't hear clearly.  

I've known for years that I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.  However, I've also noticed over the last 50 years that when I get to know a person, really know them behind authentic effort, and hard work on my part, I begin to get the picture--often a very different picture. 

Usually, growth in understanding follows time spent together.  In the connection of simple, but genuine friendship, I come to realize important lessons.  

Recently, a friend who is homeless, brought me to parade rest with this comment:

"Larry, I just want to live like you.  You know, a house, a job, options, family, friends, good health, safety.  I don't want to be out here asking people for money every day.  I just want my life to be like yours."  

Of course.  

It's not  rocket science.  

Everyone wants a life like mine and most of my friends.  

He doesn't want my service. 


He wants my understanding.  He'd like to help me re-channel my power for gains on normalcy in his daily life.  

His understanding, and willingness to tell me, ought to cause me to think very differently about extreme poverty in my community.   

No comments: