Monday, April 26, 2021

Purpose in the Maze-like Homestretch


So, I've faced it:  I've been working on this job for a long time!  And, it's time to shift gears and think carefully about the time and space I have left.  

Thanks to CitySquare's leadership (Executive  team and board), I now have the great privildge to serve in a new space.  My new business cards will declare me "CEO Emeritus."  

What does that mean?  

I can see that my new role could easily jettison real meaning and legitimate purpose and leave me vulnerable to being tossed in the rat maze searching for meaning.  

So, I've been fairly deliberate about my next steps.  

Here's my assignment.

Function as Ambassador for CitySquare. In other words, I'll represent our efforts and our interests across the city, much like I have done for over 25 years.  

Be an Adviser to the CitySquare team.  I'm eager to work with our executive team and other team members to process new ideas, provide access to available counsel on a wife variety of issues and opportunities.  I'll continue to be working with Dr. John Siburt as a supporter and colaborator.  

Stand as an Advocate for justice and equity issues in our city.  This has been my life passion for over 50 years in Arkansas, Memphis, Shreveport, New Orleans, Richardson and Dallas.  The issues will arise as always in the course of our work but now I'll have time to work on them.  And, I think I have at least one more book in my soul somewhere!  

One more thing.  I will now have more time to connect with neighbors.  The prospect of going deeper with my friends in the community really excites me.  

It helps me to document this.  Written words indicate reality, commitment and prospects for purpose.  We'll see how it goes.  


No comments: