From top left these images reflect the amazing devastation suffered by the city of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina:
1) A typical midtown neighborhood suffered flood waters up to 7 feet deep--houses destroyed inside, cars washed up on sidewalks--clean up makes the city look like a massive eviction notice has been ordered.
2) Giant oak trees have been lost.
3) Every home in the city has been surveyed and "marked" in an effort to be sure all survivors, as well as deceased, have been located.
4) Churches all across the city have been flooded, and many have been demolished by the combination of wind and high water.
5) The feel of displacement is overwhelming.
6) Most homes look almost normal on the outside, but when you step inside the reality is very different.
7) Of course, thousands of homes will need to be bulldozed.
8-10) What's left of the housing stock presents a major challenge to come back efforts.
Prayer for the city and her people. . .we must not forget them at this crucial time.
March 2, 2014–Transfiguration Sunday
5 days ago