Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Down Time Miscellany

I'm on vacation this week.

Vacation is not an activity that I have figured out how to do very well, especially in one-week increments. Give me a month off and, well, I can get into that by about day 17.

It is just hard to "wind down," as we say in the James household, in a week. The Christmas break helped a bit--didn't bring quite as much pre-holiday "baggage" into this week.

So, I'm rummaging about looking for traction on what I hope will turn out to be a roadway into this down time thing!
________________________________

Part of the problem with down time for me is that cities aren't really about stopping for anything.

They pretty much go on and on, 24-7, 12 months, 365 a year.

Trying to step off the merry-go-round is a challenge and possibly an art form!
________________________________

Found myself in a Barnes and Noble bookstore yesterday. It always happens during in-town vacations.

For whatever its worth, I added the following to my "on-the-lamp-table" reading list:

Books

Jimmy Carter, Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis. The former President begins his "Introduction" with these words,

"Americans cherish the greatness of our homeland, but many do not realize how extensive and profound are the transformations that are now taking place in our nation's basic moral values, public discourse and political philosophy."

I think I know what Mr. Carter is talking about. The impact on the urban poor has been profound and troubling. I look forward to the read.

P. D. James, The Lighthouse:An Adam Dalgliesh Mystery. The famous, British mystery writer sits in the British House of Lords. This is her 19th novel. I happened to hear her interviewed on NPR this week. Fascinating writer and person. A different, distracting read--I'm beginning to feel the traction I need!

Journals

The Atlantic--lead essay, "Why Iraq Has No Army."

Texas Monthly--lead essay, "The Bum Steer Awards, 2006, always a delight. Texas provides so much material for humor, as well as shame!

D Magazine--Dallas' very own slicked-up journal, lead essay, "The DISD Asbestos Coverup."

Tikkun--lead essay in the fascinating Jewish journal, "Theocracy in America: Hostile Takeover."

The Economist--lead essay, "The Story of Man"

The New Yorker--no lead essay, December 26, 2005 issue containing international fiction essays.

ESPN--The Magazine--lead essay, "The Colts Are the Best Team in the NFL--Why Isn't Tony Dungy Getting the Credit?" (published prior to the recent tragic happenings in the Dungy family) and "USC-Texas Game of the Century."

These should keep me busy!
________________________________________

It struck me this year as we made our way through the Advent readings, just how completely this man Jesus identified with the poor.

Makes sense.

After all, he was a very poor person.
________________________________________

If you need me, call me on January 3.

Peace.

Happy New Year!

No comments: