Monday, January 08, 2007

Prisons and Prayer

Recently, I picked up a copy of the Central Dallas Church's "Praise Reports and Prayer Concerns." The bright, golden rod sheet, printed front and back, caught my eye as I walked through the building.

Listed first under "Prayer Requests/Concerns" was a section titled "Incarcerated."

As I scanned the list of names of individuals and families, I counted 58 entries of concern and requests for prayers.

I wondered, as I read over the list, how many churches in Dallas publish a listing of all the people related to them who are locked up in a Texas jail or prison? Of course, I recognized some of the names because I know some of those listed.

While it is not true in every case, I am convinced that most of those listed by the church need something far beyond what prison life will be able to provide. Most are incarcerated because of some drug-related offense. These men and women need treatment, training, counsel and lots of support.

Texas sends too many people away and brings too few back with the life-change hoped for when the verdicts were handed out.

What would happen if we shifted funds away from prison expense toward therapy and life skills enhancement, along with "hard skills" training? I believe that we would achieve a better outcome in the lives of thousands of men and women.

Other states are proving my theory correct. Arizona, California, New York, to name just a few, have taken aggressive, legislative steps that mandate therapy as an alternative to incarceration.

The annual cost savings per inmate are staggering.

Even more, the results in the lives of those in need of redirection and help are very impressive.

As I read over the prayer list from church again today, I can't help but think that along with prayer for those locked up, we need to add actions that press for judicial and criminal reform in terms of how we respond to people who violate the law in non-violent, but self-destructive ways.

Our present approach is not working. And, in the process, it is damaging lives and killing entire communities in the inner city.

6 comments:

Larry James said...

Only in general terms. As far as I know, they do good work with people who are already in prison.

My ideas are more "upstream." Why do so many land in prison and what are the constructive alternatives?

Anonymous said...

I agree. I was once took a criminal justice class at my university not too long ago. It was Introduction to the American Criminal Justice System. What I was told in that class is that there once was a rehabilitation method and philosophy in the prison system. It was something like over 150 years agao and it was set up on Christian ideals. Needless to say, some of those ideals weren't completely practical, but they deemed that philosophy and method impractical and useless.

Now we are in what is called the "Just Desserts" model of criminal justice. It's not that I agree with either of those specific philosphies, but for the system to change in a society bent on vengence and "justice", it will definitely take a lot. And you're right about Texas. It will make it that much more difficult.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, we talked on the phone not too long ago. My name's Greg Worthington, and I believe you know my brother, Matt.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. James,
you write: "As I read over the prayer list from church again today, I can't help but think that along with prayer for those locked up, we need to add actions that press for judicial and criminal reform in terms of how we respond to people who violate the law in non-violent, but self-destructive ways."

I am struck by your use of the term "non-violent". Are all those guilty and/or convicted of violent crimes completely unworthy of love and hope?

While I understand there are some who need to be separated from society. I am deeply troubled by this prevalent distinction applied to those who are so deeply troubled and torn.

I thank you for your attention to our brothers, fathers, husbands, sons, daughters, mothers, and sisters who are incarcerated -- I hope you extend your urge to action be applied to all who are incarcerated. And that you agree that our prisons must become redemptive for all and not be destructive to anyone.

- Rosalind Burbank Joseph

Larry James said...

RBJ, thanks for your comments.

I agree with you about all inmates and about the way to renewal of life.

However, reform begins with what is possible from a political perspective. Thus, the non-violent offenders need to be handled in a more positive manner as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. James, thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Reform -- real reform begins with our thoughts and our hearts and our language is a reflection of these. It does not begin with what is possible from a political perspective. It will never begin there. Prison reform will only begin when we ourselves see all prisoners as human, no matter what their crimes.

Thus, ALL offenders need to be handled in a more positive manner as soon as possible.

- Rosalin Burbank Joseph