Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Of Eagle Scouts and Criminals

I doubt that the layout was intentional. Of course, I have no way to really know.

What I do know is that it was startling to me.

I suppose it was the raw juxtaposition of the two photographic reports, sitting there side-by-side at the bottom of pages 2 and 3 of the Metro Section in The Dallas Morning News on Monday, New Year's Day.

On the left I read about four promising young men. All were students at Highland Park High School. They were all 16-17-years-old. All were white. Each had completed the requirements for their Eagle Scout rank, the highest for Boy Scouts of America. To earn the prestigious rank a scout must design and complete a significant community service project. Earning this rank is no mean feat.

On the right I read about six men whose promise was all but spent. All six were described and pictured in the "Crimestoppers" column. They ranged in age from 23 to 36. Five of the 6 were "minorities." They were wanted for various crimes.

Don't get me wrong here.

I know that children raised in Highland Park, one of the wealthiest areas in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex, have problems, issues, disappointments. I also know that some have trouble with law enforcement and some are convicted of and are wanted for criminal acts. In fact, it is possible that one of those pictured on the Crimestoppers page may have grown up in Highland Park surrounded by wealth, advantage and opportunity.

Possible, but not very likely really.

I also know that many children reared in impoverished areas grow up to be productive, law abiding citizens. I know that most come from loving homes and many could achieve the rank of Eagle Scout if given the chance.

But, I guess that is my point here.

The six young men displayed for their alleged criminal activity most likely never had such opportunities. I would surmise that most, if not all, grew up in very poor households, surrounded by a very poor community that was not ripe with either hope or opportunity.

As I allowed my eyes to linger on the graphic contrast, I just knew at a place very deep within me that I was looking at our challenge.

No doubt, the men who chose the way of criminal activity, if they are indeed found guilty, made bad choices.

And, they are responsible.

And yet, I wonder what were their real options? I wonder how they felt about those options? I wonder where they imagined their lives going, given those options?

The young Eagle Scouts also made choices, good choices. But then, how were they set up, how were they positioned to make those choices? How hard was it to choose the right path given their life-experience?

Life circumstance has a way of setting us up.

As I stared at the newspaper, I found myself wishing that the non-poor could just for a moment understand the forces that keep people down and that often send them off in destructive directions.

Privilege is a wonderful and daunting reality. Those who fail in spite of its blessing and advantage become the stuff of news reports and novels.

Severe want is a miserable and daunting reality. Those who succeed in spite of its harshness and disadvantage become the stuff of news reports and novels.

Remove the advantages of economic well-being and the disadvantages of poverty and the playing field begins to appear very, very level.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've caused me to think more deeply about my assumptions related to the overall concept of responsibility. Being so immersed in freedom of choice thinking - much related to my Christian upbringing - I often unconsciously divorce accountability from context and priviledge. Thank you for keeping it real! Deb

Anonymous said...

Mr. James, I am familiar with your wonderful Central Dallas Ministries. For that reason, I am surprised that you are so far off point. While you are correct in your observation that all the Eagle Scouts in the DMN New Year's Day metro section are white and are HPHS students, you assumed that they are all wealthy and that gave them some sort of privilege to become an Eagle scout. In your haste to repeat a time worn argument, you flat out missed the point, and ignored the obvious.... Every one of these Eagle scouts has a Dad (not just a father) who is actively involved in his life -- and a Mom, too. Money is NOT what enabled these wonderful role models to become Eagle scouts, it was their families and their DADS. I know. Cam Clinton is my son. And, I know the other Eagle Scouts and their marvelous DADS. And yes, just because my son is an Eagle scout does not innoculate him against becoming a mass murderer. Just like going to the "right" high school does not make him an Eagle Scout. Mr. James, please, let's focus on the family, not the dollar.

Larry James said...

Anonymous 6:09, thanks for your post.

I regret if my words troubled you. And your comments actually agree with much of what I said regarding the fact that living in the Park Cities doesn't protect children from bad influences or destructive choices.

Your point about families is a good one. And I would agree with it, at least in part. But how can children be held responsible for not having involved fathers? And surely you can see that economics plays a part in that.

I also point out in my post that living in poverty doesn't guarantee a terrible life.

The problem is the concentration and the scale of difficulty of the problems in poor communities.

Family stability and effectiveness is impacted, shaped and affected by economics. Choices are easier for parents and children when poverty is not constantly at the door.

My family growing up sounds like the one you have. I can't take much credit for the fact that I had such a family or that I replicated it with my own children. I had so much support, such an advantage built in, as a given that my choices were much easier than those facing families in our low-income neighborhoods in inner city Dallas. Shame on me if I didn't succeed!

With all due respect, it is, at least in part, about money and economic security when we come to discuss the experience of families. Any other view is very naive and reflects a very shallow understanding of generational poverty. Come take a tour with me.

By the way, my words in no way were intended to be critical of your son, the other Scouts or the Park Cities. I was simply speaking to the stark contrast and what is behind it.

Anonymous said...

Random:

Did ya see Guy Brignon resigned?

Larry James said...

Yes, as a matter of fact, I heard about that yesterday afternoon.

Anonymous said...

As always, nice view of the news. I'd like to make 2 points.

1. Money is a wild viper whose venom we need in order to survive. Not enough of it and we become sick in disease, hunger, mental problems, etc. and yet, too much and we become sick in self-satisfaction, greed, and really, self-loathing. Just enough would seem to be the golden mean, but even that is not true. Yes, there are exceptions - poor people who do not let poverty bring out the worst in them and rich people who do not let wealth bring ut the worst in them. But those are not average people. Money is powerful. Its presence. Its absense.

I really think people need to ahve a greater respect for what damage money can do AND what goo dit can do. Money, no matter what, is never neutral.

2. On news reporting. Facts are facts and truth is truth. Sometimes they coincide. The story you talk about in the DMN is probably factually accurate. However, the context of the layout, the kind of media distribution a newspaper is, and the audience it reaches makes these facts mean something additional.

How can people not generalize? White people are proper, productive, and industrious while minorities are thugs. It's hard not to draw that conclusion from the context in which the facts are placed.

Though factually accurate, the reporting in general is false.

Larry James said...

Fajita, thanks for this clear and insightful post. You on right on the mark.

Anonymous said...

The dollar value that is attached to a person's up bringing does not necessarily determine how they will grow up. Yes, it does have a large impact, but what has a larger impact is how their parents raise them. The dollar amount did not make those boys into Eagle Scouts. Instead it was their own drive and the ability of the parents to keep them focused and motivated. I received my Eagle Scout award a while back, and I can say that I would have quit if it wasn't for my father pushing me to finish. Please focus on what they have accomplished instead of the money.

Larry James said...

Anon 1:45, thanks for the post. I don't disagree at all about parental engagement. However, have you considered what role financial security plays in a father's ability to give his children the kind of time that your dad gave you? The lack of money changes everything. Parental involvement is so very important, even key. But we over look a stark reality if we forget that one cannot do much good or avoid much evil without money.