Saturday, February 24, 2007

Day Dreams. . .Great Memories


If I don't manage to get to a river at least once every 12 to 15 months, I feel as if I am cheating myself out of the kind of renewal and pure joy that can fuel my soul for an entire year of hard work in the city.

When I was a college student living in central Arkansas, I spent lots of time wading the Little Red River fishing for Rainbow Trout.

I remember almost always packing my skillet for a meal on the riverbank.

Nothing tastes better than fresh trout cooked up over a camp fire out in the woods after a few hours of "hard work" fishing up and down a section of fast-flowing water. I can still taste those meals!

It was always great being with a buddy or family fishing that special stretch of stream. We had lots of fun and plenty of laughs!

But, I also found it very satisfying being there alone in the beauty. The leaves, the water, the breeze and the challenge of the pesky Rainbows--it all added up to great times that I'll never forget. Fall days on the river were particularly satisfying.

I expect those memories, as much as anything else, continue to drive me toward rivers in other parts of the country.

There's nothing like fly fishing for trout in a swift river.

When you day dream, what fills your mind and heart?








3 comments:

Larry James said...

John, I understand. Thanks for the post! Funny how rivers are something we share in common, even if from a bit different perspective. Years ago I gave up golf for Hebrew grammar. So far I haven't found anything worth my giving up fishing. But then, I haven't been in one of your canoes yet!

Lynn Leaming said...

Larry,
Water has always been my favorite way of experiencing God in nature. I have great memories of fishing for rainbow troutt with my family in Idaho rivers. But if I had a dream right now, it would probably be to be sitting on the beach somewhere where the waves are really big. It is there that I am constantly reminded of God's grace and the way it washes over us over and over again. Since I have only experienced the beach on the West Coast (and the gulf which doesn't count :)) I don't know where that perfect place would be, but for now my favorite place to have been is Big Sur California.

Anonymous said...

"What seems to be changing around us is rather the speed of our craft leaving the world"

-- Rumi