Sunday, October 11, 2009

U2 Evangelism

Michael Landauer's Op-Ed ("In God's Country") in yestersday's edition of The Dallas Morning ews is more than worth a careful look. I have to admit, when I heard Bono speak in Dallas a couple of years ago, it felt right in a larger way than when I'm in most churches.

What do you think"

U2's music has great meaning, not just to me, but to the world. When you say something like that out loud, it seems like cheesy fanboy gushing, I know. But a new book by Baylor professor and lay Episcopal preacher Greg Garrett has validated my – dare I say it? – religious view of the band.

Read the entire essay here.

.

2 comments:

Dean Smith said...

Bono's "sermon" at the National Prayer Breakfast several years ago remains, in my mind, the best, and most relevant, sermon I've heard in a very long time.

Anonymous said...

I recognized the often overt Chrisitan spirituality behind much of U2's music many years ago when they were first starting out. On the "War" tour, they ended the concert with their song "40," taken almost word for word from the opening of the fortieth psalm. By the end, the entire audience of 20,000 was singing the 40th Psalm a capella. It was one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had. I can honestly say that I am a Christian today in significant part because of U2's influence on me as a teenager. I quite literally thank God for them.