Thursday, August 26, 2010

Public Opinion Poll on Permanent Supportive Housing

Recently, the Metro Dallas HomelessAlliance commissioned a poll of Dallas residents to determine their attitudes and opinions regarding Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) and its development here in the city.  Here's what the pollsters discovered.

Poll Results

Survey results show that there is city-wide support, among Dallas voters, for permanent supportive housing (PSH) projects in their neighborhood. After hearing messages supporting and opposing PSH, 55% of respondents said they would support a PSH project in their neighborhood, while 38% said they would not be supportive.

The following five statements are the top reasons why Dallas voters would support putting a PSH project in their neighborhood:

1.  The organizations placing homeless individuals in permanent supportive housing projects will make sure the residents have demonstrated the ability to live on their own successfully.

73% of respondents were supportive of PSH after hearing this message

2.  Permanent supportive housing will help some of Dallas’ homeless population get back on the right track by providing services like counseling and health services.

73% of respondents were supportive of PSH after hearing this message

3.  Residents of permanent supportive housing projects must abide by lease agreements that prohibit them from any illegal activities and have consequences for anyone who breaks the lease terms.

71% of respondents were supportive of PSH after hearing this message

4.  Permanent supportive housing provides the necessary social services that these residents need all under one roof so they don't have to go to different locations throughout the City.

70% of respondents were supportive of PSH after hearing this message

5.  Permanent supportive housing projects have on-site services to provide the critical services these residents need to be good neighbors and successful members of their community.

69% of respondents were supportive of PSH after hearing this message

MDHA Dallas Poll Methodology

Calls were made over a three night period from August 6-8, 2010, to registered Dallas voters throughout each of the 14 council districts, with 350 completes. The margin of error for this survey is +/- 3%.

Gender Breakdown of Respondents:

Male 51%  Female 49%

Age Breakdown of Respondents:

18 to 35   2%
36 to 55   28%
56 to 75   47%
Over 75    22%



Anonymous said...

Curious: Only 30% of those polled were below age 55, leaving 70% over age 55. That seems really skewed. Any idea why? Does that effect the results? Just curious.

Larry James said...

Great question. I'd love to hear from a pro stat person on the matter. It does seem to indicate who would take a call; and possibly, what age does to your attitude toward people in hard places.

Anonymous said...

So typical. Only 20-something percent oppose such projects, but they are so vocal and so sure they're right they drown out the silent majority. Kind of like Washington - from both sides and on any issue.

OCer said...

i believe it was Mary Poppins that said "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down!" you can sugar coat anything to get the results you want... anyone notice that none of the statements used in the survey mention chronic mental illness, substance abuse, or criminal backgrounds?? i'm sure if some these "minor little details" were included in the statements the results would be very, very different. but why would the MDHA include these minor details? um, let's see - residents would most likely oppose PSH in their neighborhood.

and let's not forget that there won't be any onsite services at Cliff Manor - instead residents will have to travel across town on public transportation, give or take 2 hours, to receive their services. so yeah, maybe MDHA should re-conduct the survey with REAL VALID statements instead of sugar-coated ones. i look forward to seeing THOSE results.

Anonymous said...

I will no longer donated to Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance. I give money to help those in need. I do not give to support their political agenda. It is too bad that their focus has changed and they feel the need to justify good works with expensive polls.