Saturday, March 31, 2007

Gracie Bea


March 31, 2002, five years ago today ranks as one of the very best and happiest days of my entire life.

It was on that very special day that Gracie Bea Toombs made her way into the world and right into my heart.

It is difficult to realize that she is already five-years-old, but she is. If you don't believe it, just ask her!

Gracie teaches me many things, among the best lessons so far is this understanding that life flies past and that you have to be intentional about the moments. I don't always do so well with this truth, but every time I stop to be with her or every time she shares time with me, I always feel better, more alive and in touch with what matters most in life.

Gracie's namesake was her great-grandmother, Bea Moore Erwin. Gracie shares in the richness of her great-grandmother's spirit and love. Bea died before Gracie was born, but I have this feeling they know each other.

She has a wisdom about her beyond her years, a focus, a joy, a curiosity and a built-in sense of adventure and playfulness that makes me feel much younger than I am. I expect this is the plan God has for grandchildren and grandparents. This plan makes me very, very glad.

Gracie is fun and funny! She is smart and sensitive. She cares and she loves.

Nothing is more satisfying than simply watching her in the ordinary moments.

Gracie has no way of understanding just how much she is loved by her granddad. Maybe someday she will.

I know today is special to her mom and dad--and, her brother is working on it!

Of course, there is a reason for all of this. Plain and simple, it is all about love, commitment and being fully, hilariously, outrageously, wonderfully human!

I see everything that is good and hopeful and eternal about life in this one little girl.

She makes me grateful that I have lived.

Happy Birthday, Gracie Bea!

Granddad loves you!

No comments: