Thursday, November 19, 2009

So, how much is enough?

Leo Tolstoy's little story, "How Much Land Does a Man Need?" offers a very helpful reading experience for the Thanksgiving season. 

The story forces me to ask myself, "How much _________ do I really need?"  My blank can be filled in with any number of items, concerns, aspirations.

Surrounded and, far too often, defined by material concerns, consumer anxieties and the never ending quest for accumulating more and more, Tolstoy calls me out.

After all, how much land does a man need?

Read the story here.

I'd love your reactions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story!

Chad said...

Larry, I first read this story in college and LOVED it (both as literature and as theological commentary). I was reading it on a plane ride and got to the end, and shouted out "No!" - I was so engrossed and affected. It's one of those truly brilliant morality tales that cuts to the heart of the matter in the way only someone like Tolstoy can. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

It is an awesome story!