Sunday, November 07, 2010

Job's defense. . .in the city square

As Job made his case against God and the suffering he endured, he painted a picture of himself in the city square.  He noted the reactions and opinions of his neighbors and fellow community members.  Clearly, Job recognized that the city square offered opportunities for action, evaluation and heightened stature. 

However, it is interesting to note the criteria for positive judgment exercised by citizens in the city square

Here's what Job says about his experience in the city square:

“When I went to the gate of the city and took my seat in the public square, the young men saw me and stepped aside and the old men rose to their feet; the chief men refrained from speaking and covered their mouths with their hands; 10 the voices of the nobles were hushed, and their tongues stuck to the roof of their mouths.

Whoever heard me spoke well of me, and those who saw me commended me, because

I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them.

The one who was dying blessed me; I made the widow’s heart sing.

I put on righteousness as my clothing; justice was my robe and my turban.

I was eyes to the blind

and feet to the lame.

I was a father to the needy;

I took up the case of the stranger.

I broke the fangs of the wicked and snatched the victims from their teeth.

The city square can become an important place for values clarification.  We believe our new name, CitySquare will offer us such opportunities on a daily basis. 

Please join us at the CitySquare.

No comments: