Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Falling In Love with My Obligations

Not everything we face in life is pleasant, easy or necessarily agreeable.

I suppose we always have choices as we work our way through life. But, I've noticed as I grow older, my values increasingly impinge on my personal options.

It seems to me that when we eventually reach the place in life where we actually fall in love with our obligations, personal breakthroughs of all kinds follow in rather surprising ways.

On occasion people have judged me a bit too intense for their liking.

I can understand that. Heck, I'm too intense for my own liking most of the time!

So, I accept the judgment as largely correct in many instances.

I feel little urge to defend myself these days.

I can say that much of what I say and write, what I express, helps me to stay on course in my own personal struggle with the issues that overwhelm people trapped in poverty. At the same time, I am assisted immeasurably by the very same people with whom I try to stand.

But there is peace in simply accepting one's calling.

Contrary to much we encounter in popular culture, being bound and obligated is not a bad thing at all.

I am learning that much of life's joy is discovered in the battle, in the commitment to pursue one's clear duty; simply to show up and to keep walking.





[The water colors are from Heron Dance--www.herondance.org.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did you choose the work you do, or vice versa?

Larry James said...

Anonymous, great and insightful question.

I suppose there is a sense in which I could answer in both ways. But actually, I think the work chose me as I went along. It is a long and boring story! But at this point I feel as if I have no choice but to do what I am doing and that feels really good. . .today!

Unknown said...

"...peace in accepting one's calling."

As I think about it, I am reminded of the quote of John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you are planning something else."

I am too often looking for the great things God will do in my future, failing to appreciate what He would like to do with my present.

Thanks for stimulating a healthy pause in my thinking.

Heather said...

Larry,

I can relate to that response, in more than one way.

Good post too, btw. I think it's so true, from raising children, the work we do, to acknowledging our mistakes, that when we can lovingly commit to the choices we've made - obligations become our greatest blessings.

Jesus' greatest obligation was to die on the cross, and as a result of his commitment, salvation is free to all who wish to accept him. What a blessing!

Lynn Leaming said...

Larry,
Thanks for the honesty and vulnerablity of your post today. I cannot tell you how much your life has inspired me to want to change mine. While working as a children's minister has been a real blessing, it has not allowed me to be involved in the world as I would like. I want to find better ways to be engaged with the people that need the hope we have in Christ Jesus the most. That is not something you think about, it is something you are actually doing, and not just doing, but living it out with your every fiber. I really appreciated your statement "I am learning that much of life's joy is discovered in the battle, in the commitment to pursue one's clear duty; simply to show up and to keep walking." I pray that I too will begin to show up! Thanks Larry for showing us all what being about God's mission truly looks like day by day. May He continue to bless you in Ephesians 3:20 ways.