Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Phenomenal Mavericks. . .Movin' A City

I love sports.

So, to say the least, the Dallas Mavericks' win over the Phoenix Suns last Saturday night thrilled me and lots of other Dallas sports fans!

The Western Conference Champion Mavs advance for the first time to the NBA finals beginning on Thursday against the Miami Heat, Eastern Conference Champions.

I'll be watching every moment I can of the best of seven championship series. It promises to be a classic--two first-time teams in the finals, veteran coach Pat Riley versus rookie coaching sensation Avery Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal against the defense of the quick and deep Mavericks, Dirk Nowitzki against Dwyane Wade.

Across the years I've thought quite a bit about the impact of sports on urban areas.

Okay, okay. I admit that part of the process is likely an effort to justify my own passion for sports. It has always been that way with me from the time I six or seven-years-old.

But, the fact is, sports can play a huge role in urban community life and development, at least symbolically, as well as socially.

In general, I am not in favor of providing sports franchise owners huge public abatements, tax breaks or inducements to build stadiums that cost in multiples of hundreds of millions of dollars. In almost every case such public "investments" do not provide the expected return usually promised. This is especially true for football stadiums that are utilized in such a limited way over relatively few dates.

(Though, I have to admit that stadiums located in downtown areas create an atmosphere that is exciting and add to the positive bustle of an urban core. Denver comes to mind just here. )

But, sports matter in the city.

The team spirit surrounding the Dallas Mavericks today helps us uncover a community pride and a latent desire to pull together across all kinds of lines that normally divide us.

This week the buzz on the streets of Dallas will be Avery, Dirk, and all the rest of the team and the entire organization.

People who never speak to one another will enjoy surprisingly lengthy conversations about this team and who knows what else before they are done! All good.

In the case of the Mavs, I have to tip my hat to owner Mark Cuban. Cuban created a special new section of seating and seating prices that allow lower-income working families to enjoy an evening at the American Airlines Center. He also assembled a great team to put on the floor!

Way to go, Mark! You're often "crazy" in just the right way!

Yes, sports provide a diversion. That can be a negative, if taken too far.

But for me, sports provide a necessary and brief respite, an escape, if you will, from the press of the city. Lost in a game, surrounded by fellow citizens, cheering on one common cause--it is like a living, graphic display of the untapped potential, the resting capacity of community soul and energy. Not everything about such experiences are positive, but much is.

The challenge comes back at work, in the midst of the reality of a city with lots of problems.

What might be possible if we all pulled together in working to support other "community teams" in their ongoing quests for success and championships of a slightly different sort?

You know. . .our public education team or our public health and wellness teams or our public safety team or our workforce housing and neighborhood development teams. . .the list is almost endless.

Think about what effect community spirit mobilized to accomplish agreed upon community objectives could have on mutually beneficial outcomes.

Call me crazy, but the game, the experience of the game just gives me hope and renewed energy. Maybe we can find or recover a larger heart for our city while watching some great basketball and cheering on this exciting team that we've grown to love.

Of course, the test will come when the games are over and we get back to life in the city we love.

5 comments:

Chad said...

Larry, I just loved this post. I've been following them all season via internet - we don't get their games much in Boston, and France doesn't care about the NBA! I've been waiting for this moment since Ro Blackman and Mark Aguire lost to the Lakers in 7 back in the 80s. I'm happy for the Mavs and for Dallas.

Larry James said...

Thanks, Chad! Great hearing from you.

Yes, I recall the last time the Mavs were in the Western Conference finals--exciting, but less than satisfactory outcome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,
Great post--I was in San Diego over the weekend for their marathon, and I as I walked to the start line at 5am from my hotel, I passed no fewer than 6 sleeping homeless in a span of seven city blocks, not to mention the many I saw during the day and at Horton Plaza (where I happily noted that even if you stay at the Westin, you can't hide from urban issues). Just a little over an hour and a half later, I was contemplating downtown San Diego's beautiful redevelopment and growth as I passed the new Padres stadium on the run. It was great to see so many people choosing to live and work together downtown, and it looks like they've done a good job with the stadium project, controvesy and all. But I couldn't help noting who's left out: the homeless.

Later on in my run, another ugly truth came starkly into focus. One runner was dressed in red, green, and white, and carrying the Mexican flag. We rounded a corner in downtown where there was a huge crowd cheering for runners. She held up her flag and cheered, and the crowd fell virtually silent!

The run was long enough to give me some time to think about these moments of clear disconnect, and also cheer with the other Mavs fans who were running or cheering--the race in its entirety was by no means glum or divisive, but why not cheer for a Mexican runner who is proud of herself? And why leave the homeless out of reinvesting in a downtown area? Like so many great American cities, San Diego is beautiful, friendly, and welcoming, but I now wish it, like Dallas, would re-commit itself to investing in all its residents.
Kate

Larry James said...

Kate, thanks for the great post.

Your thoughts are right on target, as usual.

Your questions are very important. Sometimes, maybe, questions are the best we can do. If we keep asking and refuse to go away, possibly we will receive and maybe even craft and answer or two.

Keep asking and, of course, running!

KentF said...

I'm a huge sports fan - but Kate brings up some good points. I've often wondered what would have happened if the Cowboys had moved back to downtown Dallas. From what I've gathered the relocation to Arlington was pretty non-sensitive -but I could be wrong.

Many homeowners and tenants were displaced - and while they were fairly compensated I wonder if some people already in the margin didn't sink further into despair so Jerry Jones and the Boys could have a new $500M playroom.