Monday, July 13, 2009

Checking the news. . .


Forgive the quality of the image here.

I captured it on the move with the camera in my phone.

The corner is just off Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago.

What you're looking at is a homeless man reading a newspaper he dug out of the trash can.

I noticed him as I approached the corner and as I waited for the traffic light to change. I was there long enough to observe him making his way through several pages of the front section of the newspaper. He was lost in his reading, sort of like me over my cereal in the morning.

It occurred to me to try to record the scene simply because of what it conveys about this one man, homeless persons in general and all of us who walk the streets of cities like Chicago.

Just because this man is among the poorest in his city doesn't mean he isn't interested in finding out what is going on. He couldn't afford to buy a paper, but he found a way to get what he felt he needed.

As I recall the scene with the help of this blurred imagine, it hits me again that we are all about the same when you get right down to it.

Thoughts?
.

1 comment:

Karen Shafer said...

I couldn't agree more with you. Most of my friends who live on the street keep up with the latest news -- both because they care, and, sometimes, because their survival depends upon it.

Love the picture. It rings true.