Thursday, August 16, 2007

Amazing Grace

Former slave trader, John Newton wrote the famous spiritual, "Amazing Grace." Possibly, no hymn is more famous or has been performed as many times. This song and especially its origins capture an incredibly important part of our national story, a story that continues to shape our urban centers.

Grace is in short supply in our troubled world. Dr. Bob Biard, a member of the Board of Central Dallas Ministries, sent me this link awhile back.

Here's my counsel: click on the link, sit back and take in the amazing message emerging from this song, its context and its history. It will be more than worth your time.

In the process you will be introduced to an amazing guy named Wintley Phipps, the President of the U. S. Dream Academy, a very special non-profit organization that works with the children of men and women who are in prison in the U. S.

Oh, and be sure and note the amazing power of the music coming from the "black keys."

Take a moment. You will be glad you did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMF_24cQqT0


5 comments:

Amy Boone said...

Sorry, Larry... this has nothing to do with this particular post, but I just read Same Kind Of Different As Me. Wow! Have you met the two authors since they live in the metroplex? I thought of you a few times as I read it.

Larry James said...

Amy, I have not, but we are hoping to get them over here for one of our Urban Engagement Book Club meetings in 2008. I'll keep you posted. Great book. Even better reality.

Anonymous said...

About this post ... WOW!

Anonymous said...

Please remind me to keep a box of Kleenex handy when I read your blog! What a moving video... It also brings to mind the recent movie, "Amazine Grace."

Rhonda said...

edit of previous post... "Amazing...