Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Jesse and Immigration Court

So, I met another wonderful teenager while I was in immigration court with Monica last week.

Jesse.

Graduated from Sunset High School in Dallas.

A very good young man.

High, high "moral character." Never in trouble of any kind.

Wonderful work ethic.

Great grades. Received an offer for a scholarship, but because he did not have a Social Security number, he didn't take the free ride to school, even though he wanted to.

"Since I don't have a Social Security number, I didn't think a degree would do me any good," he told me by phone when we talked later last week. "Why worry about college if I can't get a good job when I am done?"

Good thinking, Jesse.

So, the nation needs smart, bi-lingual laborers in every industry. So much so that we are recruiting in a number of Central and South American countries. But, in our brilliance, we are going to toss out kids who grew up here from the time they were babies and go recruit people we don't even know and in whom we have not invested a dime.

How utterly stupid!

Go ahead, Wyatt (that's my grandson). Put me in "time out."

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

We've found another great friend in this young man, and we will stick with him.

We are going to keep working to change the law that says he must go back to a nation he does not even know, one that he has never known. A very bad law that attempts to punish a very good young man.

Come meet Jesse and then, try to walk away from him.

I dare you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were Jesse, I would take the free ride. By the time he gets out of school, the law might be chang and he would be in position to take a good job. Besides, what else could he do that would be more worthwhile?

Larry James said...

Chris, we are helping Jesse with our own scholarship funding. He is enrolled and will begin school this month. Your question betrays your lack of understanding of his reality. See my post a few days ago about the man with the undocumented son who is a Texas A & M graduate who cannot get a job legally or one that is really very good or in line with his educaiton. We need a national uprising, churches could lead it, that passes the Dream Act. Write your Senators and your Representative today, please!

Anonymous said...

Interesting comments in response to Gerald's column ...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/DN-wedartletters_0808edi.ART.State.Edition1.42b033e.html

Anonymous said...

Can Jesse be adopted by an American family and then able to get a SSN?