Sunday, August 05, 2007

Barbara Brown Taylor

My good buddy, Mike Cope, posted this quote from Barbara Brown Taylor’s Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith on his blog not long ago. A fitting entry for a Sunday morning.

If you are a church person, it's more than worth pondering.

“I know that the Bible is a special kind of book, but I find it as seductive as any other. If I am not careful, I can begin to mistake the words on the page for the realities they describe. I can begin to love the dried ink marks on the page more than I love the encounters that gave rise to them. If I am not careful, I can decide that I am really much happier reading my Bible than I am entering into what God is doing in my own time and place, since shutting the book to go outside will involve the very great risk of taking part in stories that are still taking shape.”

Check out Mike's site at: http://www.preachermike.com/.

No comments: