Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Snow. . .

What is it about snow?

I don't know about you, but I'm fascinated by it every time it comes! 

I suppose it goes back to my childhood.  Nothing was better than an unexpected, "snow day" in Texas that put an end to school and turned everyone out into the white wonderland. 

I also expect that somehow I'm "hard-wired" to appreciate the white stuff.  I'm told that the afternoon I was born, Spokane, Washington took the assault of the worst snow storm the city had seen in about 25 years!  So, I got here in the snow, and I've always loved it.  The more the better. 

As I've grown older though, snow has pushed me down and along a more contemplative path every time it shows up.  Over the past few years my experience with snow prompted more time with a camera in hand, as if the magic and mystery of the snow would somehow escape me before I could savor it adequately. 

And the amazing, deep, unexpected snows of the last 2-3 years have brought amazing experiences of appreciation, celebration and self-reflection, as if snow signals my way farther down a very important pathway I'm meant to take. 

Call me crazy, but there is something about the snow. 

I caught the image above earlier this month when I was in Colorado speaking to and working with about 150 business majors from Abilene Christian University and Lubbock Christian University.  The corner post on the porch of the cabin where I slept found itself adorned with the beautiful stuff on the morning my trip came to a close.  Dare I say a special blessing to point me in the right direction once again?

No comments: