Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Icons: Mrs. Alexander and the CitySquare coffee pot


During my very first week at CitySquare, way back when it was known as Central Dallas Food Pantry (1994), I made an important purchase:  an industrial size coffee pot! 

I recall very clearly that first day as I broke out my new coffee maker. 

As I worked to set it up and make coffee in the interview room, a long-time volunteer said to me, "What are you doing, Larry?"

"Well, I'm making coffee in our new coffee maker!  I like coffee.  I expect our neighbors like coffee.  So, we can get acquainted over a cup of coffee!" I excitedly explained.

"Don't you know that if you make coffee these people will never go away," the volunteer informed me.

It was at that point that I realized we had a ways to go and grow when it came to community engagement and development.

Well, the coffee maker went to work, and lots of stories continue to orbit around the old pot! 

A couple of years ago, the coffee maker got put up, largely due to the crowds that have streamed into the food pantry for assistance over the past few years.  We had a hard time with the scale of demand for coffee.  Putting the pot up was a mistake, even with the understandable challenges.

Recently, we broke the coffee maker out of the closet!  Above you'll see Ms. Nois Alexander, long-time volunteer who understands the power of hospitality and friendly conversation over a hot cup of Java! 

Glad to see my old coffee back in service!

No comments: