Thursday, April 19, 2007

How affluent churches can partner with inner city communities. . .

Not long ago I spoke to a church located in a well-to-do part of Dallas. Great folks who are eager to do good things, serve people and make a difference in our city. The minister had invited me to speak to the group about faith, biblical theology and "the poor," which I was happy to do.

About a week later, I received an e-mail message form the minister thanking me for being with the church and suggesting that I return at some point in the near future to address a topic something like, “10 practical things I can do to seek justice and do compassion.” I like that! I responded that I would love that assignment, and I expect we will work on that in the next few weeks.

Recently, another friend and minister was discussing the same subject, how it is that suburban or exurban congregations of material means can best assist urban ministries and low-income, inner city communities like ours.

One statement he made summed up well a sentiment that I've heard often from the leaders of such faith groups: "We’re going to need some specific guidance to get people engaged before we’re able to get money engaged. . . ."

I understand what he is saying.

Many people of faith, who don't reside in depressed and challenged neighborhoods, want to help in a "hands on" way. They want to volunteer. They want to be involved in the experience of the "community of need." Many also want to know what is going on and what is being done "on the ground," so to speak.

Such involvement for lots of people is a prerequisite for providing financial assistance. I think I understand this need donors have.

Over the years I couldn't count the number of people who have told me, "Larry, no problem is ever solved by 'throwing money' at it!"

Again, while I do understand this point of view, I must quickly add that I haven't seen anyone "throwing money" at the problems we attempt to address every day!

The entire matter gets very complicated.

Rich (or at least, relatively rich) people want to do more than give money. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that their money is something they will eventually give! Lots of people give nothing, no matter what. Further, like my friends at the first church I mentioned, folks with means want to know practical steps they can take to help beyond writing a check.

On the other hand, poor people genuinely desire to help themselves and make whatever contributions of time, talent, sweat equity and even money to address the problems facing their families and their neighborhoods. This is why we utilize the gifts and energies of so many low-income persons. As a result, we need very few volunteers , which can be a "turn off" at times to our more affluent friends and partners in churches.

Then, there is our mission. We are here to build community and to stand alongside poor folks to see them take responsibility for improving their own lives, environments and living conditions.

What do poor folks and organizations like ours need most from the more affluent?

That's not rocket science. We need funds, financial support and a sustainable commitment to back our work. In most cases, when a person with financial capacity asks me what is the best way to help me and CDM, I say something like, "Did you bring your checkbook?"

That is just the honest truth.

We have a plan. We have great people and an amazing team. We have a strategy and, most importantly, we are working with the poor as peers and partners. We have lots of hands and they are engaged, really "on," if you will!

What we don't have is enough funding to address the problems that we know well. That is just reality.

Our philosophy dictates that the role of outside volunteers will always be minimal compared to the role required by the people who reside in the challenged communities.

To be sure, there will be many meaningful ways for outsiders with wealth to be involved as volunteers. And, we will always welcome outsiders who want to be among us to make new friends, help with the work we are doing and better understand our city.

But, a strategy to engage the involvement of outside volunteers cannot become the primary driving force behind our mission or strategy. The day that becomes the case will be the day our effectiveness in community building and development will end.

Our mission here is not charity.

We are moving beyond charity to human and community development.

Our mission requires partners of material means who will surrender control of their dollars to those facing daunting problems needing a solution. This will always be among the highest and best contributions outside groups can offer the inner city.

Of course, it takes real faith to give on these terms.

More on this subject later. . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not difficult to have faith in the work of Central Dallas Ministries when the leader is so credible and passionate. Thanks for all that you do for the entire community of Dallas and for showing us the way.

Fajita said...

Great timing as I was just thinking about this very topic.

It takes a long time for the idea of community development to sink in. There is so much an idea that since people do not have enough money to solve some of their problems that they don't have any resources, that they have no intelligence, no will, no power, no interest, no anything.

In America, money is so equated with everything that without money people are nothing.

This is crazy thinking.

Oh, and I cannot resist commenting on throwing money at issues.

Rich people solve their housing problems, transportation problems, food security problems by throwing so much money at these problems that they are no longer considered problems. Throwing money at problems works for people who have a lot of money. Why would it not work for people who don't have a lot of money?

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

No offense intended here, but I've found that poor people in their own community are so much more committed than a wealthy person outside of the community who wants to volunteer. And a poor person within their community is so committed that they will often work for a meager amount solely because they want to see their community get better...and they will even work way more than 40 hours a week once they start because they begin to discover so many new ways to work with the community to institute change. But it does take money. Though they don't demand a huge paycheck, they have to have money to survive. What they contribute is so much longer lasting, too. Once again, not intended to offend, but this is often what I've found.

beadman said...

Larry,

I do get this about needing money more than volunteer hours, and I am going to get started with a financial contribution.

Nevertheless, I'm still concerned about the defacto segregation. If I did just want to be a friend, how would I do that? Is there not some way our suburban members and your inner city community could interact more? I've been exploring a number of ministry opportunities and I get this vibe a lot - we need your money but if you hang around too much you would only screw things up. I know you don't mean it that way, but I sense genuine angst among believers who want to serve with their lives but are only offered the chance to serve with their checkbook.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great discussion on something that is close to my heart and occupying lots of my time and thoughts lately. The past month or so, as part of my AmeriCorps internship I have been assisting with handling requests from outside groups, mostly church youth groups, who want to have that 'hands on' experience AND help CDM. I have found that the experience has been both challenging and educational. Learning about and then seeing the theories come alive regarding the 'helpful outsiders' versus 'show us the money' approach, has made we stop, reflect and question it all. Does it have to be one or the other? What about blending them, which is what I think Larry is saying.
What I am witnessing (and taking part in), is that CDM is about building community and relationships, one person at a time AND that those relationships must stretch in all directions and include a variety of folks. Yes, each group does have their own specific agenda, be it a youth ministry or corporate teambuilding project, yet each can still contribute to the big picture - changing the lives of those we work with at CDM and in our neighborhoods.
I believe there is plenty for all - plenty of money, plenty of talent, plenty of time, plenty of compassion, plenty of love, plenty of food. Our challenge, as humans, is to work together to even out the distribution of all that abundance. Compromises can only come as we open the lines of communication and break through the 'barriers' - those walls of separation created by our perceptions that we are different and that that somehow translates into not equal. That sense or belief in separation seems based purely on the visible, the material, the have and have-nots and I believe the solutions must come from a different level. The solutions must come from a spiritual level – we have been shown the way by great teachers in our past – Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Gandhi, and King… Lives are changed by people living from a place we are all called to be each day and in each encounter of the day. When I 'remember' and act from my heart I feel hope that we all can live as one, in peace, in harmony and create the Kingdom of Heaven here, today, in Dallas, Texas.
My call is to be of service – to God and to other people. Saturday morning I coordinated and worked with a group of young women from University Park United Methodist Church, we planted many colorful flowers at Ashby Commons – spreading color, and beauty was our big picture mission. We then made up ‘Homeless packs’ comprised of purchases made with their youthful shopping tastes, and their money (I did provided a basic list for some guidance!). Today I walked some East Dallas neighborhoods – handing out flyers for a Neighborhood Crime Watch meeting. Someone may have judged or viewed me as an insider Saturday and an outsider today (or perhaps an outsider each day!). I was being who I am, doing what I believe is mine to do, on both days. Thanks Larry and CDM for allowing me access to those opportunities!

Larry James said...

Great comments, everyone!

Beadman, you and I are on the very same page here. You would always be welcome and you would never screw things up because your motive and agenda are clear: you want friends, you want enduring relationships, you want to connect. That is the key. You would be welcomed! The problem comes when volunteers want to complete some limited program requirement. You know, paratroop in, fix the problem, save the souls and then go home, back to business as usual until next year. We've had way too much of that. Not everyone is up to what you want. Some just have the gift of generosity and they give and give freely. Lots of others want to come for a weekend experience, sort of like going to the museum to observe something different, etc. Many do this and never give anything that would actually help change things.

I find it interesting-and I will post about this soon-whenever Jesus taught about disciples and the poor, he almost always insturcted people to "give to the poor."

So, all that to say, come on down any time! We'd love to hang out with you as a friend. That's what we need.

Fajita said...

Friendship is key. It is hard to have friends on the other side of a metropolis. Making trips frequently, making normal time investments, and protecting those investments is not an easy thing to do.

Lots of poor, urban people have been burned too many times to get their hopes up for some real relationship with someone from "out there." However, when it is shown that you are thre for the long haul, then I bet you've got a friend for the long haul.

In short, don't write checks that can't be cashed.

beadman said...

Thanks, Larry. You don't know how much this means to me.

When I was in Ukraine a university teacher told me about an American couple who came over and promised a student they would sponsor her to attend an American university. When they go back home, nothing happened.

I have developed a close relationship with an orphaned university student over the course of three trips to Ukraine. This teacher reminded me just as I was leaving the last time: "Don't forget about her; now you are responsible for her."

We need to be in it for the long haul, more sparing in our promises, and careful of our expectations for quick fixes.

Most of all I just want to be able to say to one our two outside my immediate family: "I will never leave you."