Saturday, April 14, 2007

Messiah College


My good friend, Richard Hughes, invited me to speak to students at Messiah College yesterday. So, I made the trip to Grantham, Pennsylvania, just outside Harrisburg, the state Capitol.

About a year ago, Richard and Jan left Pepperdine University to direct the Ernest L. Boyer Center at Messiah College. Founded by the Brethren in Christ church in 1909, Messiah is a thriving liberal arts college with a history rooted firmly in Anabaptist tradition that includes an enduring commitment to social justice, reconciliation, peace and compassion.

The students I met were special indeed.

One group, the Boyer Scholars, is a select collection of seniors who were chosen to be set on a robust academic track while at Messiah. Boyer Scholars, in keeping with the philosophy of their namesake, are trained to appreciate the opportunities for social change and renewal that come through careers in education.

Another group was preparing for a giant day of service next week in inner city Harrisburg. My stories about so many wonderful friends in Dallas seemed to be helpful to these young people who share a commitment to inner city renewal and redevelopment.

Even though it was very short, I enjoyed my trip.

A tip to travelers: this part of Pennsylvania is amazing.

Important footnote to my sons-in-law: The river running through the campus is rated as one of the top 10 trout streams in the United States!

I think I'll be back!

No comments: